Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Updates/SP2

Using XP..IE6 It seems SP2 is installed on my pc..in add remove programs it is listed as:HotFix(Sp2)(seeKB810243) for info.
Q322001 Q327979 Q814995 Q819696 Are these CORRECT?
It says to change settings for new Firewall/ use this path:start/control panel/under Windows Security Center:click on Firewall to change..I have no Windows Security Center listed on my PC to do so..Then it says for Popups this path:open IE tools Popups..However I do not have this in IE/Tools either. Can someone tell me HOW to fix this please..The firewall was on my pc working before the installin of SP2..never could find the location of the program to check it out or change settings etc..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Updates/SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Updates/SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP Updates/SP2..also

In reply to: XP Updates/SP2

when i check my Installation History on the Windows Update Page..It doesnt list SP2..nor is the Windows Security Center listed.

Collapse -
Re: XP Updates/SP2

When you say "It seems SP2 in installed on my machine" what exactly do you mean?
Were you notified that it was installing or not? Did you download it through Automatic Updates or Download the full network version?

There is no mistaking if you have it or not.
There is definitely an entire new Security Icon Section in your Control Panel as well as an Security center icon in your start menu under system tools.
(Not to mention many other features including the additions to tool menus you mentioned.
What does it say when you right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties"? (Under System, it should specifically say Service Pack 2).

This is a rather large download that requires a re-boot and initial Auto Update settings, so it is not something you would have downloaded without knowing about it.
My guess is that you don't have it yet.
Please be more specific as to how you acquired it. (If in fact you did).

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: XP Updates/SP2

It showed up from Auto Updates..ask did i want to install now i clicked OK..i never saw anything showing as it was downloading/installing like it use to ( showing the download time ) ..When i right click my computer and properties,it says SP1..however when i go to add remove programs its showing there hotfix SP2 5 times all with diffrent numbers.but i dont have any thing new as far i can tell..no new security icon in control panel..i also tried manually by scan my pc and it says no critical updates.but it sure does show in myadd/remove programs as being there..What should i do?

Collapse -
Re: XP Updates/SP2/

NO was not notified been installed.I checked installation history also,,not there.Should i remove all those (SP2 hotfixes) from my Add/remove programs? sure am curious how they got there?

Collapse -

I followed your instructions and found that I am in the same boat, metaphorically speaking, I understood that Serice pack 2 was available and would be downloaded as needed. I have auto updates, where else would this I find this program

Thanks

Collapse -
SumerBrez,

To verify the SP2 is installed on your machine or not, do the following:

1. Right-click on "My Computer"
2. Scroll down and right-click on "Properties"

In the "General" tab, look under "System:" if SP2 is installed you would see the work "Service Pack 2" displayed.

Regards,

Collapse -
Re: SumerBrez,

In reply to: SumerBrez,

You can also just select the About Windows menu option under Help on any Explorer window. The version string will say something like "Service Pack 2".

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SumerBrez,

All says SP1
except for in Add/Remove Programs..saying SP2 there.wondering how this happened? When i go to windows updates,scan my pc..says no critical updates at this time or any other udates are available..what you think is the problem?

Collapse -

That's means somehow your SP2 ended premature. You'll need to remove the SP2 (thru Add/Remove), download the SP2 again to make sure and install it.

Regards,

Collapse -

I was able to Remove all SP2 except for one..this one has Hotfix (Sp2)underneath that it says (see KB810243 for more info) i click on it but it only shows a blank white page,nothing there. windows update is now showing i need the SP2 but cant download it because there is no window opening to click ok for the download or to install..

Collapse -
SumerBrez,

If it makes you feel any better, the exact same thing has happened to me! Exactly as you are describing...

Per the suggestions in this particular post, while on the internet, I click on 'Help', 'About Internet Explorer', which gives me the following Version:

6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.

So, as you can see from above, my string says XP SP2, but on my Control Panel, under Add/Remove, I don't have anything that specifically says: Windows XP SP2. Last week, when I received the AutoUpdate from Microsoft, I clicked on the Download button, and nothing ever happened...just exactly as you are describing what happened to you.

I'm guessing that this is what I need to remove to delete the small portion of SP2 that is giving me problems:

Wndows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696.

Have you found out anything more definitive yet?

~Sharon

Collapse -

In Add/Remove programs I have 15 items labeled "Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)". I have no idea how they got there, but more importantly, what do I do now? It appears to me that I have SP2 half installed!

I do not see any changes in the operation of this computer--a Dell with a P4 2.4 and 256MB ram. All tests say it is a SP1 machine.

Anyone---any suggestions?

Collapse -

Hi sayersman,,Before you do anything please wait for advice from the techs here..Myself,I have decided to leave SP2 along for a while..I believe its very important to install it though..wont hurt to wait a bit.my guess is there are probably millions and all at one time trying to download/install SP2 right now.I did *remove* from add/remove programs all that said SP2 except for one,which wouldnt let me *remove*..

Collapse -

check control panel for new icons,windows security is a shield.

Collapse -

Believe me I knew when I finally got SP2.

The d/l and install took alot longer than I anticipated and I missed the first 2 innings of a SF Giants home game - grrr.

Collapse -
After SP1 was released most of the hotfixes were labeled SP2

If you have SP2 installed you won't have the hotfixes in your add/remove applet in the control panel. The SP1 hotfixes were before SP1 was released. If you took them off, you just took off the critical updates you've installed since SP1. I have SP1 and not SP2 because I have auto-updates turned off and I do it manually. I have about 13 or 14 SP2 hotfixes. I have never attempted to install SP2 yet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.