Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP updates download ok, but wont install

by bear45 / January 9, 2007 11:35 PM PST

Hp Desktop T3140, XP Home Ed, P4 3.06MHz,1GB Ram
XP updates download ok, no problem with WGA but none of them will install. Error msg advises to check log which says, in a long list .....
1.141: C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmp.exe is Not Present
1.141: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
1.141: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102

Any ideas please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP updates download ok, but wont install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP updates download ok, but wont install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be fine. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 2:17 AM PST
Collapse -
by bear45 / January 10, 2007 6:16 AM PST

Thanks Bob,
But I always pick out the updates I want to install, I reject quite a few. I do not have the knowledge to reject a SNMP update out of hand. Even after selecting I often have quite a few that will not install, and they all used to!
How can I know that I dont need a particular update?

Collapse -
For this one, one should know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 7:05 AM PST

Sadly this is the current thought pattern at MS. And no sign the error messages or guidance is not going to get better soon. The error message should have noted "You don't use SNMP so this update is not required at this time."

Bob

Collapse -
by bear45 / February 9, 2007 12:42 AM PST

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply but perhaps I have not explained very well, it's not just isolated Updates.
This is a list of the Updates I have downloaded today (so no problem with WGA) but none of them will install. My virus checker and firewall were disabled first.

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
Update for Office 2003 (KB919029)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)
MSXML 6.0 RTM Security Update (KB927977)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB925257)
Security Update for Outlook 2003 (KB924085)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB925534)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2007 (KB890830)
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.15.2233.6)
any ideas please?

Collapse -
You need to investigate them one by one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2007 6:31 AM PST

I'll pick on the first one.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925672 notes "issues" with the install and sadly Microsoft drops the ball again on what might have been an easy update. With each item Microsoft seems to expect you to dig in and do the research as to why it failed.

I don't see anything you've done wrong here.

Bob

Collapse -
Regarding Automatic Updates
by Darton Fury / February 9, 2007 7:14 AM PST

Confirm that the service is started. Enter services.msc in the Run dialog box and check the status of Automatic Updates. If you need to change its status, dbl-click it and set it to "Started" and "Automatic."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!