Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP: Undo freezes 10 seconds

by catsfive / September 17, 2009 2:31 AM PDT

Hello, I have been looking for a solution for this problem for a number of days and can't find anyone else who's having this problem.

I am working in a large corporate network using Flash CS3. Whenever I use the UNDO command (CTRL Z), the computer will freeze Flash CS3 for approximately 10 seconds. It seems to "stun" Flash as though I've punched it in the face and it has to shake something off! Very strange behaviour. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have deleted temp files, run registry cleaners, tweaked a few things, have no viruses, and have even tried unplugging from the network and working that way, but no dice. Any ideas SINCERELY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP: Undo freezes 10 seconds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP: Undo freezes 10 seconds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"large corporate network" = IT task.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 2:44 AM PDT

Let them cure it. They'll fix or reload the machine.

Collapse -
Right. Thanks.
by catsfive / September 17, 2009 2:56 AM PDT

Oh! Right! Thanks! I'll just sit here for the next three weeks (like I did when my machine first arrived here) and do NO WORK while I wait for that to happen. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else?

Collapse -
They pay for that too!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Right. Thanks.

While you can explore the machine with PROCESS EXPLORER the usual issue is still an IT only choice. I found Norton and Mcafee or overlapping protection software to be at play. But only your IT staffer will let you change that.

Meanwhile think about it. They pay by the hour so if they dog you or hobble you they pay you for it.
Bob

Collapse -
Put it this way.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Right. Thanks.

This is a corporate computer. Any suggestions we make you cannot implement without letting your IT and/or Admin staff know about.

If you did make changes, and the computer expired, when you tell them that you only did this on advice from these forums, someone in your corporation is going to be very unhappy with CNET.

Sorry, but although this is not enshrined in CNET's Forum Policy, we nevertheless shy away from tinkering with corporate computers.

Mark

Collapse -
SOLVED
by catsfive / September 17, 2009 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Put it this way.

I have asked a technical question which has a technical answer.

If I made changes and IT got mad at CNET, then IT is full of fools and idiots. It would be the user's error alone. No one should rationally expect CNET to bear the blame for something a user tries. That's the spirit of these forums. What should I try? And so on.

But nevermind: I found the answer. It turns out it was a problem in Flash CS3. I changed the "UNDO" setting from DOCUMENT_LEVEL to OBJECT_LEVEL. Fixed the problem and I'm moving on with my life.

Forums like this one are generally a waste of time. I often wonder whether responders have no lives whatsoever eat cat food. I tried to weed out the useless, idiotic "help" suggestions up front in my original post: Rebooted, AV, temp files, and so on... but as usual, rather than thinking critically about a particular problem, forums will generally find any reason to dance around or otherwise not address the issue in question (see: this post and infinite others).

Collapse -
Your initial subject line was a little bit misleading.
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2009 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLVED

You said that XP froze. It turned out to be that your program was busy processing your command. That's something else.

In your post you said the computer was freezing the program. That's a rather irregular way of describing the problem, but somewhat better indeed. It would have been better to say the program was freezing the computer, now we know the cause.

Maybe if you had posted in our Web Design forum, somebody with Flash experience had been able to give a better answer.
But choosing for the XP forum and telling about the things you had done (temp files, registry cleaners) clearly indicated that you suspected the OS.not the application. And then the advice to ask the IT staff (the standard respons would have been: "OK, we'll reimage the machine") is a sensible one.

Kees

Collapse -
Assumption
by catsfive / September 17, 2009 5:59 AM PDT

Many valid points. It's true that I mistakenly suspected the OS and I'll be the first to admit that. Naturally, if I had the answers to everything, I wouldn't have posted anything in the first place. But I realize that's not what you're saying.

I must say, however, that the knee-jerk "reboot, refresh, reimage" mantra isn't always correct. Flash CS3, for instance, installed with the "DOCUMENT_LEVEL" switch setting for the UNDO right out of the box. That would be restored in a clean wipe, wouldn't it, and after however long it would take for IT to prioritize my job and reinstall the software and everything, I'd be back to square one with the UNDO problem here. Correct?

Similarly, XP is not acceptable out of the box, nor is Vista, and we all know that these operating systems go through hours of updates after a fresh install. The systems must be tweaked on multiple layer levels, like with network settings which can vary widely between home and corporate users. As it happens, my PC is one of the only graphics workstations in the entire company, and in fact, it took three weeks to get it to my desk mainly because IT had never seen this kind of machine before. I certainly don't want to go through that again.

People want to be helpful on the forums and I appreciate that. I myself try to help out wherever I can. But merely suggesting a "clean wipe" or "re-image" of the system within two or three replies to a post such as mine is absolutely unhelpful and, frankly, it'd be better if people possessing only that level of knowledge stay out of the discussions altogether. It's an endemic problem and, to be frank, completely discourages people from viewing user-supported forums like this one as at all useful.

C5

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?