Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP to new computer.

I have windows xp home edition in my computer now.
Im going to buy new computer, am I able to install THIS windows xp on that new computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP to new computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP to new computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends

In reply to: XP to new computer.

If it is an OEM version you may not be a to.
Peter

Collapse -
Bought XP

In reply to: Depends

The windows xp home edition is bought from store so its noe OEM. And im not buying manufacture computer, I will buy all ''stuff'' by myself.. Or how to say it Grin ( build it myself )

I had windows 98 in this ---> bouught xp ---> want to UNINSTALL it from this and INSTALL it to new computer.

So, is that possible?

Collapse -
If you do install that copy of XP

In reply to: Bought XP

on your new( build it myself )computer, you will have to activate it. You may have to call Microsoft since all of the hardware will be different.

Collapse -
You'll be fine.

In reply to: Bought XP

That's the full retail version and you have the rights to move from machine to machine an many times as you want. I have yet to call MS about activation. It just works.

Bob

Collapse -
Example.

Let's say your current machine is an IBM, HP, Compaq or such and XP came with said machine. In these cases XP refuses to move.

-> There is nothing to complain about since that is the agreement you made when you acquired the machine.

Bob

PS. OEM XP has failed to move as well at times.

Collapse -
and then use the two machines??

Legally, you cannot use the same XP on two different machines. If you are getting a newly manufactured machine it should already have XP Home or XP Pro on it. If not, you might try moving the entire physical drive to the new machine as the C: drive. At the least, it will need to be re-activated because of the new hardware profile.

And life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Just a point of order

In reply to: and then use the two machines??

It is not "illegal" to have XP on two machines if only the person that the copy is registered with uses the machine (eg PC tower and notebook PC) There is a copy right law which is called something like "fair usage" which means if you buy the rights to a particular item you can do what you want as long as only you use the item eg you can copy games, music CD but as long as only you use them you are not breaking copy right law.
However, when you install XP, amongst all that legal junk in the agreement, you are agreeing to only use XP on one machine. But if "push came to shove" if you rang Microsoft up to activate two machines (ie PC and notebook) they would allow you to activate both. Mainly because they know you have the right to have XP on 2 machines.
Peter

Collapse -
I stand corrected..

In reply to: Just a point of order

But it IS illegal for him to use one and someone else to use the other at the same time.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Re: XP to new computer

Microsoft's new copyright protection scheme automatically forbids a NEW installation of ANY new version build of Windows XP on ANY computer without a dealer or user
lICENSE. You can however use an OTC (Over The Counter) disc for upgrades, repairs and addition of Win XP components. This is one reason Name Brand manufacturers now provide you with a fully install-from-scratch version of XP either on an OEM CDROM disc or extant hard drive partition which you can use on their computers. The full install capabilities of an XP OTC disc will automatically disable on an attempted NEW installation if a breech is detected. I'm aware that you alredy paid for your existing version of Windows and should be able to use it on another computer, but Microsoft doesn't know this. For all they know, you might be trying to pirate their product on as many computers as you can get away with. Sorry.

Collapse -
That's why they ask..

In reply to: Re: XP to new computer

you to re-activate. XP captures a 'profile' of your configuration and keeps it on file at Microsoft. If the configuration exceeds parameters because you did massive changes to this profile, Microsoft wants to make sure you are not violating copyright. If you don't re-activate within the time set forth, XP won't work anymore. Then you have to call them for new activation. Sooner or later they will know if you're up to any hanky-panky. (hanky-panky??)

and life goes on...

Jack

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!