Computer Help forum

General discussion

XP theme missing

Hi! My husband decided to change the theme of our computer to something ugly and annoying, when I went to change it back using the Display Properties menu the XP theme wasn't on the menu anymore.
Does anyone know how I can get the original themes back on my computer? Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP theme missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP theme missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP theme missing

In reply to: XP theme missing

MissyDK, It sounds like your Luna Theme, which is the XP Theme is missing. Go to the link below and under the letter "T" scroll down to "Themes (Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed)" and you'll find several possible solutions. (Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)).

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Did You?

Click on Start-Control Panel, then double click on "Display" icon, then click on the "Themes" tab.. ONce there, use the drop down menu beneath "Theme" to check for "Windows XP"?

If still can't find it there, then try the same path above, then select "Browse" from the drop down menu and browse to the "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder and enable the "Luna" theme that you find there.. That should be your default Windows XP theme.

If it's not there, then check the link below for other possible fixes:

http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/09/windows-xp-default-theme-missing.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
now more is wrong

I did all that written and I did get a better them back on the computer but it's in Windows Classic with the boxy kind of style. Also I went to change the style to XP using the Display Properties menu but now the tabs "Themes" and "Appearence" are missing! What am I doing wrong? I'm getting a bit frustrated!

Collapse -
EXACTLY What Did You Do?

In reply to: now more is wrong

Unfortunately, you shouldn't have "did all that written".. The correct thing should have fixed the issue.. But now it appears like you've not enabled the Luna theme but instead disable the various tabs.. So please RIGHT clcik on the link below, select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As", then direct the "visualstylefix.reg" file to your desktop and download it there. Once there, close all programs including your browser, then double click on the file and select "Yes/OK" when it asks: Are you sure?. The registry file should correct the tabs issue.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/visualstylefix.reg

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
strange

In reply to: EXACTLY What Did You Do?

I turned on my computer this morning and it's back to the original blue XP appearance! I'm still missing the Themes and Appearance tabs from the Display Properties menu but at least it looks closer to normal.

As for what I did...
I followed the first link you gave me to Swatkat's rants: Windows XP default theme missing! and followed all the steps there. I also tried the other link you gave me, for the registry. I did got the the 1st link that was posted too and followed those instructions. My computer has caused me problems from the moment I bought it 5 years ago and seems to crash once every 6 months, it seems to have a mind of its own! Thanks for all the help and patience, I really appreciate it! Melissa

Collapse -
Re: strange

In reply to: strange

MissyDK, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 285 (right column) and click on the underscored "Restore All Display Tabs" to download a .reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
working

In reply to: Re: strange

Thanks!! That worked perfectly and I now have all the tabs back! I also went back and did the steps again from yesterday and it worked better than yesterday, I have the XP theme back and it's part of the list again! I'm not sure why it didn't work yesterday but it is today. Thanks so much for all your help!! Missy

Collapse -
(NT) MissyDK , Good job & Thanks for posting back.

In reply to: working

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.