Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP System Restore

by ljcool_17 / August 1, 2010 6:24 AM PDT

I've noticed recently my XP is no longer creating system restore points automatically when it used to create about 2-4 restore points a week. Now, it has gone a full week without one. I know it has to be idle for it to create one, and I've let it have some idle time (with messenger and browser still running but not taking up much resources). I tried restoring it back to a restore point and it didn't create an undo system restore (or is that normal when I run system restore on safe mode?) I have more than sufficient disk space in my hard drive. All I remember doing is turning the Indexing Service off, which I haven't tried turning on yet. What could be causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP System Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP System Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Note this . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: XP System Restore

Restore Points are created in four ways:

1. Every 24 machine running hours. If you use the PC two hours a day it'll take 12 days before a RP is created. These are called System Checkpoints.

2. On every Windows Update. These are called Software Distribution.

3. Manually by you at any time. You give it a name.

4. Some software installation causes Windows to create a restore point.

Is System Restore turned on? Can you create a RP manually?

Collapse -
Checked Everything
by ljcool_17 / August 1, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Note this . . .

Yes, I've checked on everything, System Restore turned on, System Restore shared hard drive space set to 2 gig, System Restore service running, Task Scheduling service running, able to create System Restore manually, PC turned on approximately 6 hours a day with idle time of at least 30 mins in between. Recently installed new anti-virus and it did create a restore point. Windows Update does the same. It just doesn't create a System Checkpoint when left alone.

Collapse -
That might be a clue
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Checked Everything

"Recently installed a new anti-virus".

By any chance, is this a Norton product? If so, some Norton's security software disables System Restore in favor of it's own backup and restore component.

If not Norton, which AV?

Mark

Collapse -
Recently installed anti-virus
by ljcool_17 / August 2, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: That might be a clue

I've recently installed the latest version of avast, avast5, it runs lighter than any anti-virus I've used including it's previous version. However, my System Restore problem has been around a week or two before I updated my anti-virus. I can create manual RPs, but it hasn't been creating automated System Checkpoints, nor did it create an Undo Restoration after I did a System Restore (under safe mode).

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: XP System Restore
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.