Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP stuck loading after HD Install on older Inspiron 1100

by noviceneedshelp / February 2, 2009 6:51 AM PST

Hi -

Let me quickly start by noting that I have familiarized and comprehensively searched every forum for assistance on this issue, and have attempted multiple fixes for the following problem. That said, if anyone absolutely knows what my problem is, and if is addressed elsewhere, please direct me. If not, thank you VERY MUCH in advance for your help!

History: 30 GB HD filled up on Fiance's Inspiron 1100. I purchased a compatible 60 GB HD, enclosure, and then I cloned the original HD to the larger one.

Then, after restarting the computer with the original drive still in the case, the computer failed to boot.

So, after attempting to fix the original boot issue, I physically installed the new, 60 GB HD with the cloned drive on it. The computer fired right up. I was elated. Then I ran defrag. Not a good Idea.

Defrag crashed at about 40% complete. I attempted to reboot the computer, to no avail. The computer seems to boot fine, but then gets stuck permanently at the Windows XP loading screen. The loading bar moves, the mouse moves, yada yada. Nothing else.

I CAN boot in safe mode, and access all my files (which i DID backup first). However, I want the damn thing to work, considering I just bought the new HD and the computer otherwise worked just fine.

I ran CHKDSK from the recovery console, which found errors, but did no good. Then I ran CHKDSK /r, which took about 24 hours to complete. Errors found, some "unrecoverable," to no avail.

I CANNOT access my system startup BIOS w/F2 (or any other key) during startup, no matter how early i start to tap the key. That is strange to me. Thus, I cannot boot from the XP CD.

What do you all think my options are? The HD is physically OK, I think. The fact that safemode seems to function pretty flawlessly is a good sign, right?

I have read to use bartPE to correct the registry. I have read to reinstall (?) the BIOS. I am ready to re-format the HD and re-install XP, but I'm not sure how to do this, or if I can do this via DOS or the recovery console, as again, I cannot access the system startup settings to change the boot sequence.

Again, at this point, is there a way to fix this? If not, can I sweep off the HD and re-install XP? How might I do that?

You people are great - I look forward to hearing from you all.

Ian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP stuck loading after HD Install on older Inspiron 1100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP stuck loading after HD Install on older Inspiron 1100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Setup not working with F2
by Slikkster / February 2, 2009 10:01 AM PST

What Bios revision do you have on this 1100? If it's older than "A22", then you can burn a bootable CD ISO to update the bios to A22, and then after that's successful, to the last revision, which I think is A32.

Dell changed the bioses on the 1100 from Phoenix bioses to Dell bioses. I've read reports such as yours where flashing to the Dell bios (A22 first, remember) can cure the setup issue. Of course, it will be preferable to go to the last updated bios after that. I have an 1100 and 5100 (same family).

Collapse -
F2 not working for setup
by noviceneedshelp / February 2, 2009 10:07 AM PST

Thanks for the reply! I will look into this. I believe I saw "phoenix" somewhere in the past. I will research how to flash the bios and attempt to upgrade it. Is that a relatively straightforward process? Keep the ideas flowing!

Ian

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!