Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP startup problem

by JayB54 / March 5, 2007 1:48 AM PST

Just finished a clean install of XP Home Edition. Now every time I start up it doesn't go directly to Windows. First a black screen appears with the message: "Please Select Operating System to Start." Under that statement are two lines:

"Microsoft XP Home Edition"

"Microsoft XP Home Edition"

If I arrow to the second line I get an error message that the disc containing the operating system is not in the drive.

If I select the first line it opens Windows, or is I let it time out without selecting it goes to Windows.

Once in Window everything operates fine. It's just this little glitch during my startup bugs me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP startup problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP startup problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
boot.ini
by colbox98 / March 5, 2007 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: XP startup problem

You have a second listing in your boot.ini file. This is pretty common when you do a re-install of the operating system. This file is pretty easy to edit. The file will be located on the root of your C: drive. You will have to enable "show hidden files" and un-check "Hide protected operating system files" on your folder options. Then open the file in notepad, delete the second listing, and save the file. Or you can go into msconfig from the run menu and do the same thing.

Collapse -
thank you
by JayB54 / March 5, 2007 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: boot.ini

it worked.

Collapse -
Windows Xp startup Dilemma please help
by 00000000000jb / March 9, 2007 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

Hello,

I am having a similar problem when I start up... I re-installed windows xp home and now when I start up I receive a message asking me to select

1. Windows Xp home
2. Windows Xp home

when I select 1. it works fine but when I select 2. I receive an error message regarding "Kernal.ddl".

I did a run > boot.ini but the file is not detected on my laptop. Also there are two "Windows" folders located on the C drive. I ran uninstaller pro 2006 as an attempt to delete the duplicated folder but I was un-successful. Can anyone help me?

Collapse -
try...
by JayB54 / March 9, 2007 11:01 AM PST

run/msconfig
click on boot.ini tab
you can delete the second there

Collapse -
startup is normal how do i delete duplicated windows folder?
by 00000000000jb / March 10, 2007 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: try...

Thanks the startup is normal again yet I still have two "windows" folder on the root of my C drive. I tried to right click and delete the invalid folder but I received an error message stating "system 32 is not empty".

Collapse -
I've had success removing files such as yours by...

I have run into this a few times. I've been successful in removing the Win folder in two different ways. Try this... Reboot the PC. As soon as system is up and running, click "Start / All Programs/ Accessories / Windows Explorer" Once you have win explorer up and running, click on the + sign beside My Computer. Click the + sign beside Local Disk (C;), find the second windows directory and "RIGHT" click on it. Click delete. So long as the file isn't being used, it will remove the file. If this doesn't work, reboot in "Safe Mode". Follow above steps and it should remove the file for you. The important thing to remember is
"DO NOT" open the folder in win explorer. If you do, you may not be able to remove it until you do a reboot.

Hope this helps
Rob

"Friends Are Quiet Angels Who Lift Us To Our Feet When Our Wings Have Trouble Remembering How To Fly"

Collapse -
system 32 error message *sigh*
by 00000000000jb / March 16, 2007 3:15 AM PDT

Thanks for your help white wolf 01 & JayB54 but the folder refuses to be deleted...
When I attempt to delete the second folder in safe mode or normal mode I receive an error "cannot delete system 32: The directory is not empty." How do I empty my system 32 folder so that I can delete the windows folder that is no longer necessary?

Collapse -
system 32 error message
by tomron / March 16, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

I don't think you want too mess with system 32 folder.This is required.Click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
msconfig
by JayB54 / March 18, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

click RUN/type in MSCONFIG/then click BOOT:INI tab

choose the correct line as default. that should allow you to delete the redundant one. stay out of system32.

Collapse -
duplicated system 32 folder
by 00000000000jb / March 19, 2007 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: msconfig

I successfully removed the repetitive "Microsoft XP Home" selection on the start up but I am still unable to delete the "windows" folder.

There are two system32 folders.

Collapse -
"I don't think you want too mess with system 32 folder."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

Given only what I've read so far I can't tell if you can remove anything safely. Tell exactly the contents of boot.ini before and after the edit so I can look for clues. Tell exactly how many "windows" folders you have and where.

Bob

Collapse -
system 32
by 00000000000jb / March 19, 2007 9:08 AM PDT

The original windows xp home edition crashed so I re-installed the OS. After re-installing windows xp home on the start up there was an option screen that asked me to choose

1. Windows Xp home
2. Windows Xp home

when I selected 1. it worked fine but when I select 2. I receive an error message regarding "Kernal.ddl".

option 2.) was my original operating system that crashed.

I did a run > msconfig > boot.ini and was able to delete OS option 2.)

While re-installing windows home I named the new windows folder "window" so that I could distinguish the working system folder from the folder with errors "windows". The problem is when I try to delete the "windows" folder ( the old system folder) I am told it is not empty.

In the "system configuration utlity" box for general I have a radio button selecting "selective startup" and I also have "use modified Boot.INI" selected.

Collapse -
Sorry. No boot.ini so I can't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: system 32

Boot.ini would look like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=4
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Or in your case, XP. The details in the boot.ini would help but as it stands it it not safe to delete said folder.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.