Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded

by tigwelder56 / February 28, 2004 3:43 AM PST

WinXP Pro/2.8G HD/1G SDRAM

I have so many programs on my system that the Start/Programs menu has become large enough that the programs have become nearly hidden on the right side of the screen. If I continue to add programs and want to use the XP view vs. Classic is there something I can do to make those programs more visible? What happens when you install more programs than screen space? How do you view those program titles? In the Classic view you have an animated menu but XP doesn't. Can I retain the XP format without having to use the Classic view? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
by glb613 / February 28, 2004 4:20 AM PST

I had the same thing happen to me. Change the way the programs are displayed. Right click on start then left click on properties. Click on customize then the advanced tab. Scroll down the list and put a check mark next to scroll programs then OK. It will change your program display to one long list. Gail

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
by tigwelder56 / February 28, 2004 4:47 AM PST

Hi Gail,
Thanks for getting back to me so fast! That's terrific and I appreciate it. I did as you suggested and it did open up the menu to easier access. I have always liked the full view of all programs without having to go through all that scrolling and was happy when I saw it delivered that way in XP. I hope that in the future they'll allow a way to reduce the size of the program menu so you could continue to view all items at once. Until then I'll use it as you have suggested and pass on the helpful idea. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
by glb613 / February 28, 2004 4:59 AM PST

You are welcome. I agree. I also like seeing all of the programs and wish there was a way to make them all fit. You can list them in alphabetical order by right clicking on any program then selecting sort by name. It helps to find what you want using the scroll programs feature. Gail

Collapse -
Re:XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
by PeterH / February 29, 2004 7:31 PM PST

I too could have had that problem but cured it before it becamse a problem. The answer is to group similar programs together (or delete the ones you never use). You then click on the icon for (say) photographic programs and you get (if you've programmed it OK) a list of all the relevant programs. You click on the one you want. To do what I suggest, you find the start line for each program and send a shortcut (right click) to the desktop. Then you move the new shortcut into the icon by dragging it across the desktop till it is over your chosen icon. To create the icon: On the desktop rightclick, then New then Folder. Then give it a relevant name. I hope that all makes sense. It's easier to do it than to describe it!! Then you can learn how to change the icon's image so that it is an indicator of the relevant subject.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP Start/Programs Menu is overcroweded
by campman / February 29, 2004 9:57 PM PST

another way; if you do not mind using a higher resolution is to raise it and then you will find you have plenty of room. Found this out when I purchased an LCD monitor which only looks good at the highest resolution.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!