HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP3 Killed My Monitor!

by guymeader / September 5, 2008 10:43 PM PDT

I tried to install Service Pack 3 for XP Pro on my home desktop. After loading, I rebooted and the PC hung up. I rebooted again and now the monitor can't see a signal from the PC. I tried the monitor on another PC and it worked fine, so it's not the monitor. I tried another monitor on the messed up PC and no signal either. Does anyone know what to do? The computer does not work at all without the monitor. I can't even access the go back feature.

Microsoft (of course) was no help, neither was HP (the PC manufacturer). The PC is just out of warranty so HP won't help me at all. I don't have an XP disk to reinstall the OS because HP, in their infinite wisdom, puts the info on a partition of the hard drive for this sort of thing. This doesn't help me at all. (Can you tell I'm a little bitter towards Microsoft and HP? By the way, thanks Microsoft for screwing up my PC and then not lifting a finger to help me. They told me to talk to HP and HP told me to talk to Microsoft. Children, can you say, "Pass the buck"?)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm planning on buying a copy of XP Pro (For $200 big ones!) and trying to reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a new video card and see if that works. Any ideas? I'd rather not spend $350 for a new OS and video card.

Thank you,
Guy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP3 Killed My Monitor!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP3 Killed My Monitor!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why didn't you make those restore CDs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

Sorry but time after time I find a HP owner that didn't want to make them. Why didn't you make such?

As to the death of the machine, your post didn't detail if ANY display came up. If none then it's not XP SP3 but the machine is dead. Here's why.

When we reboot the machine at first does not run XP but the machines "BIOS". Since you don't see that, then it's not XP.
Bob

Collapse -
Because I didn't know about them....
by guymeader / September 6, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

I didn't make any CDs because I didn't know to make any. When I bought the PC nothing told me to do so. Why doesn't the manufacturer include such CDs in the first place?

I don't know what came up originally, the PC was booting but I didn't pay attention. I was waiting for the Windows sign in screen to come up and it didn't, so I rebooted. After that, the monitor says it is not getting a signal. I can hear the PC spinning away but can see nothing on the monitor.

I didn't do anything but load SP3, so in fact the problem is with XP and Service Pack 3! The PC was working before I made the mistake of loading this service pack from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Let's try a simple test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 12:32 PM PDT

Turn on the monitor and start tapping the F1 key.

Noted at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

I read your post again and no model number so I'm working at a disadvantage.

As to the restore CDs, here's the method that is common to some of the HP line -> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&docname=bph08097

You can make the call to HP and get the restore CDs awhile ago for 35 bucks. I do not know what today's price is. Feel free to rant about this all you want but today this is how the prices are being pushed down. If you want to talk about this that's fine but I'll focus on repair.

Tell me if you get to the BIOS screen. If so, it's a corrupt OS. If you can't get to the BIOS screen, the machine and not XP SP3 is the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Do you happen to have a ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 6, 2008 1:28 PM PDT

bootable Floppy or CD?

If so see if it boots. If it doesn't and if you are not getting the BIOS info screen the problem is likely either your video card (dead or not secure in its slot) or the motherboard. An update to the OS WILL NOT prevent BIOS info from showing nor prevent other bootable Operating Systems from loading.

As for - "I didn't do anything but load SP3, so in fact the problem is with XP and Service Pack 3! The PC was working before I made the mistake of loading this service pack from Microsoft."

Let's say you drove your year old but good running car to a restaurant, went in and ordered and ate a meal then came out and discovered the car wouldn't start. Would the problem of the non-starting car be the meal? By your reasoning it would but it is easy to see that is nonsense.

Collapse -
Nonsense?
by guymeader / September 6, 2008 1:41 PM PDT

Loading a Windows service pack has everything to do with the PC not working. Your logic is completely false and illogical. Are you trying to say there is an analogy between going to a restaurant and then the car not starting and loading a new and untried Windows service pack and the PC having problems? There is no comparison. And no, the car not starting would have nothing to do with the restaurant, but might have everything to do with the trip to the restaurant!

What are you people? Apologists for Microsoft? I'm so sorry I offended you! Did I hurt your little feelings? I'm just trying to get my PC working and I did not mean to offend you. Why are you attacking me? I didn't say anything about you.

Collapse -
Lets get this straight.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Nonsense?

You haven't told us if anything appears on the screen at all. Without that information whatever anyone says here is guess work.

XP cannot break a monitor. That is a physical impossibility. However, XP may have disabled your video card in some way. That is a possibility, though rare.

Please do this.

1] Turn on the monitor. If it is a CRT, (Cathode Ray Tube like the old TVs), wait a few seconds for it to warm up. If it is an LCD, (Liquid Crystal Display), it should work immediately.

2] Do any lights, LED's on the front of the monitor light up to say it is turned on? If there are lights, but they don't turn on, then either your monitor has failed or the electrical supply has failed. Check the plug and fuse.

3] If the monitor turns on, turn on the computer.

Almost Immediately you should see some sort of display. This is the BIOS which is a basic input/output system software that checks the hardware of the computer before XP starts to load.

All PC's have a BIOS. Without it the full Operating System, (XP, Vista, Win 98, whatever), will not work, but it is not part of Windows.

The BIOS will go through what is called a POST, (Power On, Self Test), and if that passes, the BIOS then moves on to allow the Operating System to load up.

How the BIOS works.

If you do not see any BIOS display, then either your monitor has failed or your BIOS has failed.

4] If you get a display that suggests Windows is now loading, at what stage does it fail?

Help us to help you with this problem Happy

Mark

Collapse -
"The monitor says it is not getting a signal"
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2008 9:56 PM PDT

And it works on another PC. And you installed SP3.
That are the things we know.

Together this points to a hardware issue, that happened to happen when you installed SP3.

Time to do some experiments. That's better than only bashing at HP and Microsoft.
- See if the BIOS setup comes up, when you press the right key (depends on the BIOS, should be in the user manual or the HP helpdesk certainly knows for your machine, usually F1, F2, F10, del or esc).
- Do you happen to know anybody who HAS a bootable XP (or Linux) CD? That should always work on faultless hardware. What happens?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks All!
by guymeader / September 7, 2008 11:52 PM PDT

Thank you Mark and Kees!

Mark, here?s what I get. I turn on the PC and connect it with either monitor, CRT or LCD, and the monitor acts like it?s not plugged into a PC. The monitor is indeed on. The PC chugs for a bit like it?s booting up but then nothing happens. I thought perhaps that the OS has somehow disabled my video card. I reseated that but it didn?t help. I tried repeatedly hitting F1 on boot up and got nothing. I wish I could tell you what error messages I'm getting but I'm just not getting any besides the monitor saying that it detects no signal.

Kees, unfortunately I find that an XP boot disk is like gold. I can?t find one. I?m not sure about Linux.

My next course of action is either...

1)Buy a new version of Windows XP, either the full version or the upgrade version. Or perhaps Vista? My PC has the Media Center version of XP. Whatever is the cheapest solution is the one I?d like to go with. (Once it?s open, I can?t take it back.) I?ll reinstall the OS and hope that it reloads the video card. Hopefully this will fix it.

Or should I?

2)Buy a new video card and install it to see if this fixes the problem?

Please tell me in your expert opinions what I should do.

And I thank everyone for trying to help me. You are going above and beyond the call of duty!

Guy

Collapse -
I think it's hardware.
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2008 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks All!

A repair shop can confirm that by replacing the video card with a spare one, before you spend money buying a new one. And that should be free if you buy the new one there also, so you won't lose money.

Before I forget, if they confirm it's hardware and replacing the videocard, I would appreciate if you corrected your Microsoft bashing in this thread. Surely there have been issues with SP3, but none like disabling the video are known on this forum. If it happened in your case, that would be interesting to read also.

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
So do tell us which ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 9, 2008 12:55 AM PDT

part of An update to the OS WILL NOT prevent BIOS info from showing nor prevent other bootable Operating Systems from loading.
you can't come to grips with.

It is EXACTLY like the dinner having NOTHING to do with the car not starting - the incidents just happened to be close together but UNRELATED.

You are not getting ANYTHING on the monitor (except the no signial message which originates on the monitor and not the PC) so look to the HARDWARE as it isn't the software. Even had the SP corrupted your video drivers the system BIOS doesn't use the drivers - it uses the built in VGA.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help, Edward....
by guymeader / September 9, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

And once again, someone wants to bash me or prove his own little agenda. Thank you Edward, for not answering my question. OK, the restaurant has nothing to do with the car not starting! I give. I kneel to the power of your big brain. Your grasp of superior logic and rhetoric has triumphed over my plebian mental faculties. Does that make you feel better?

Which part can?t I come to grips with, ol? Eddie? I have a difficult time coming to grips with the extraordinary coincidence that I load a service pack (from a company with a reputation for putting out untested and unproven software that the public ends up debugging for them) only to have my PC stop sending a signal to my monitor. How odd. But you all must be correct. It must be a simple coincidence! I desperately hope I did not hurt your or Bill Gates? feelings. (Does Microsoft own CNET or something?)

I just wanted to get some advice on my next course of action as I outlined in my previous message.

Okay everybody, go ahead and bash me, but I won?t be listening. You?ve driven me off the message board.

Thanks a bunch!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.