Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP3 freezes after boot on desktop

by psilversmith / August 27, 2010 10:18 PM PDT

All of a sudden, every time I boot, the desktop icons and background come up normally, and the mouse icon moves - but NOTHING on the desktop that I click on works. The mouse arrow becomes a hourglass icon on the blue bar at the bottom. No new software or hardware.
The ONLY way to recover is to go to safe mode and restore to an earlier time. Interestingly, even if the restore says it was NOT successful to an earlier time and unchanged, the machine then works normally (until the next reboot). I've done: sfc scannow, crapcleaner, utility drive and registry scans, antivirus scans, chkdsk, etc - no help. I've looked carefully at ipconfig, but only the bare bones usual stuff is there. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP3 freezes after boot on desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP3 freezes after boot on desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Reinstalling SP3 Like This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
more complicated:
by psilversmith / September 9, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

Thanks for this good idea. I did this SP3 in place reinstall, but the problem persisted. Someone suggested an inadequate power supply - so I changed the PS to one double the wattage - same problem.

Here's the kicker: In desperation, I put in a new C:\ hard drive (a second D:\ one is left alone) - formated it and put the XP sp3 op system and programs back on. This at first seemed to do the trick, finally -- but suddenly, I'm getting the same problem (although intermitantly) again!!! (Boot to normal desktop that clicking anything does nothing, fix with system restore to anywhere, whether successful restore or not).

Maybe my machine is haunted! (All spyware checks: Malwarebytes, McAfee, AVS, Combifix, etc. are clean). Comments welcome. Thank you.

Peter S

Collapse -
HELP in 2012
by Danowan / July 1, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

I am having the same problem as the OP. I've been troubleshooting for days to fix the problem, and have had little to no success in resolving the issue.

Here's what happens (nearly every time I boot up): Everything boots up quite nicely, and within a minute, I'm seeing the desktop. Mouse moves, ESET banner shows up to show that it is running - everything seems to be okay. After about 2-3 minutes, as soon as I click anything, the mouse still moves, but nothing works. CTRL+ALT+Delete is useless, and the only way to shut down the system is to force it to shut off.

Safe mode works. I am posting to this thread using safe mode, but doing anything with a normal boot is not going to work right now. I am determined to see this through to the end because I want to learn. I've got another computer that is currently doing it.

I'd really appreciate the help, ASAP. I can provide further explanations per request.

Compaq 6730s
2gb RAM
2ghz processor
Windows XP SP3
[recently had HDD replaced]
[programs recently installed: Malware-bytes, ESET SmartSecurity, Paragon Partition Manager, Ace Utilities, jv16 PowerTools, Perfect Disk 12.5]

Collapse -
Re: hang
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 1, 2012 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: HELP in 2012

That probably means that some program is messing up things, or you load far too many programs for your PC. Let's hope it isn't caused by running the registry cleaner in Ace, because then you might have to go back to factory settings. Registry cleaners and optimizers sometimes are rather fatal.

I'd start with:
- disconnect from Internet
- go into MSCONFIG and find the startup tab
- make a good note of what's checked and what isn't, so you can go back
- uncheck all and reboot
See if it's better now. Then gradually add the programs you REALLY need/want to run, such a your antivirus and the hardware related stuff (from Intel, Nvidia and such).

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!