Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP3 DCOM issues ... no user/group "Network Services"?

by pdietz / September 1, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

Hi,

I have 2 machines running XP Prof SP3. One of the machine (a Dell 1520 Laptop) was factory loaded with XP SP2 and then upgraded to SP3, the 2nd (a Lenovo Y510 Laptop) was freshly loaded with XP SP3 (slipstreamed).

Both machines periodically show DCOM errors in the event viewer indicating the the user "NT Authority/Network Service" does not have sufficient launch/activiation privileges for a component service. I have followed numerous threads (some KB's directly from MS too) showing how to locate the specific service, add the user (if necessary), and enable the local/remote permissions.

The problem I have on both these XP SP3 machines is that there is no user/group object for "Network Service" so I can't add it under the add permissions screen. In the advanced screens I see several options that interestingly include these separate choices (amoung others):

NETWORK,

Network Configuration Management,

SERVICE

But there is no user/group "Network Service" listed in the selections. If I type it in anyway and click "check name" I get an error stating that the object wan't found.

All the past threads I've read indicate that there should be user/group options for Network Service, and Local Service, but I don't see them. I checked at both the individual DCOM component level and also at the My Computer level under component services (under the security tab features where the launch and activation edit options are).

Has XP SP3 redefined these internal users, and are there any new solutions/workarounds for XP SP3?

Thanks,
Phil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP3 DCOM issues ... no user/group "Network Services"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP3 DCOM issues ... no user/group "Network Services"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just did a clean install of XP SP2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

From the CD there was no such group. I'd recheck your work and your company's "configuration."

Collapse -
I am refering to XP SP3 in this post
by pdietz / September 1, 2008 6:07 AM PDT

I have checked and rechecked two different machines. In XP Prof SP3 I can not add "Network Service" as a user under the security tab options of Component Services to add the necessary permissions.

I can add "Network", or "Service", but not "Network Service"

Collapse -
Sorry. I can't replicate this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 6:17 AM PDT

I have yet to get a XP Pro SP3 CD from Microsoft to test if the stock install has such an user. Maybe I'm misreading your post. You seemed to allude this was a stock account above. Now I read you can not add such an user under the Security Tab options. That would be proper if there was no such account.
Bob

Collapse -
Here are some more specifics
by pdietz / September 1, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

The specific error message seen in the event view is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 8/31/2008
Time: 3:55:07 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: WXYZ
Description:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Here's Microsoft's Resolution:

Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {AppGUID} to the user User_Name SID User_SID. This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: Date
Time: Time
User: Network Service

Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {AppGUID} to the user User_Name SID User_SID. This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

CAUSE
This problem may occur if either of the following conditions is true: ? A program with the class ID (CLSID) that appears in the message tries to start the COM component by using the DCOM infrastructure. However, the user does not have the required permissions to start the COM component.
? The Network Service account does not have the correct permissions.

RESOLUTION
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods, depending on the cause of the problem.

Resolution I.

Grant the user permissions to start the COM component
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\CLSID value
Note In this subkey, "CLSID value" is a placeholder for the CLSID information that appears in the message.
3. In the right pane, double-click AppID.

The Edit String dialog box appears. Leave this dialog box open and continue to the next step.
4. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.

If a Windows Security Alert message prompts you to keep blocking the Microsoft Management Console program, click to unblock the program.
5. In Component Services, double-click Component Services, double-click Computers, double-click My Computer, and then click DCOM Config.
6. In the details pane, locate the program by using the friendly name.

If the AppGUID identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this identifier.
7. Right-click the program, and then click Properties.
8. Click the Security tab.
9. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Customize, and then click Edit.
10. Click Add, type Network Service, and then click OK.
11. While the user is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items: ? Local Launch
? Remote Launch
? Local Activation
? Remote Activation

12. Click OK two times.
13. Quit Registry Editor.

Resolution II.

Grant the correct permissions to the Network Service account
To grant the correct permissions to the Network Service account, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In Component Services, double-click Component Services, and then double-click Computers.
3. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
4. Click the COM Security tab.
5. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Edit Default.
6. Click Add, type Network Service, and then click OK.
7. While Network Service is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:? Local Launch
? Remote Launch
? Local Activation
? Remote Activation
Click OK two times.

The issue I have is that I can not add the user Network Service as described above and as is reported as the "user" in the Event Viewer log. I can add Network, or Service, but not Network Service.

Phil

Collapse -
Time to call you know who.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 7:06 AM PDT

Sorry I can't replicate the issue here. Make the call soon and let us know how it turns out.

-> Just so you know, this didn't happen here. I wonder if there was NLITE involved? The reason I write that was an on site call came in and after many hours we discovered the install was far from stock. It was some very strange NLITE XP CD with SP3 and more. We offered to keep working on it for the usual fee or just fix it with a stock XP install.
Bob

Collapse -
Happens on 2 machines built very differently
by pdietz / September 1, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

1) Dell Factory installed with XP Pro SP2 and then upgraded to SP3 using automatic upgrade 6 months later.

2) Direct install with XP SP3 (slipstreamed)

Under Component Services (My Computer level) are you able to add "Network Service" as a user per Microsoft's 2nd resolution?

Collapse -
event ID 10016 occur after a site reset or after an SMS 2003
by PudgyOne / September 24, 2008 7:38 PM PDT

Event ID 10021 and event ID 10016 occur after a site reset or after an SMS 2003 service pack installation on a site server running on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913119

Rick

Collapse -
Let's try another tactic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 7:07 AM PDT

What is failing?

No, do not show me the Event Viewer. Tell me what didn't work.
Bob

Collapse -
The laptop stalls when ...
by pdietz / September 1, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

The laptop stalls for a couple of minutes when trying to bring up the network interfaces (wired / wireless)and then seems to resume normally ... but with DCOM errors (events) in the log. This seems to happen most often when Intel PROset/Wireless Software is installed. Without Intel PROset installed, I see no activity from "Network Service" at all in the log, just SYSTEM, user and "Local Service".

Collapse -
So it's the old "delay" thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 8:19 AM PDT

No failure? Why fix that? Sounds pricey when you factor in time spent, the call to MS and more.

As to Proset, why not try WZC? I know some will continue to want all software from all vendors to work but I look to what works and not worry about a small delay like that.

It should be interesting to see how this ends.

Collapse -
Yes ... perhaps just too inquisitive for my own good
by pdietz / September 1, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

I have a hunch tough ...

Under the services tab we can determine how different services "log on" by controlling the service properties. Here on both XP SP3 machines, I can select several "log on" options for the service including "NETWORK SERVICE". So at this level "NETWORK SERVICE" is an available user log on option. On both my newer machines, all but a couple of services (RPC related) log on as "LOCAL SYSTEM".

Perhaps the Intel PROset/Wireless service of concern logs on as "NETWORK SERVICE". In this case the default DCOM permissions might not allow launch/activate priveleges since network service has less permission. I could fix this pretty easily by changing how the service logs on from "NETWORK SERVICE" to "LOCAL SERVICE". On an older machine, with an older version of PROset, the PROset service logs on as "LOCAL SERVICE", and all is well.

At some point I need to reload the ver 12 of PROset and follow this theory to closure.

What led me astray was that "NETWORK SERVICE" is not an available user within the component services tab under my computer, or for the specific DCOM entries ... as the MS resolution suggested.

Collapse -
XP SP3 DCOM issues ... no user/group "Network Services"?
by lapimate / September 24, 2008 7:16 PM PDT

Similar problem here (using PROset 12.0.4.0 on Intel 4965AGN on DELL Vostro 1200 WXP SP3). I suspect some problematic interaction with the MS Bluetooth services. How about as a workaround changing the user from "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" to "Everyone" and then adding the relevant permission? No doubt raises a security issue, but a choice between evils - why hasn't MS or Intel responded?

Collapse -
Amendement
by lapimate / September 24, 2008 7:30 PM PDT

For "changing the user" please read "adding the user". In my case the initiator may be another process (Bluetooth related?), not the user referred to in the particular DCOM.

Collapse -
DCOM XP SP3 10016 errors, any answers since you posted?
by SkooWID / July 22, 2009 5:14 AM PDT

I am having a very similar problem with a machine I rebuilt from the latest Dell Windows XP with SP3 install CD.

Followed their installation instructions to the letter, including order of installation of drivers, and installed only firefox, adobe reader, flash, shockwave, and Windows Defender.

Ran all Microsoft Updates. I still get that error, three times each time I boot.

Have not had time to look into the possible Intel ProSet angle.

Was wondering if you ever had any resolution to this problem, as I saw you posting on a few different forum sites, but no answers to your plea for help Happy

Thanks

Chris.

Collapse -
I have exactly same problem.
by zarko1 / August 20, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

How I can see that is old problem. Does anyone found solution for that issue?

Collapse -
Maybe deal with it in this way, it works on my notebook.
by Omicron97 / October 16, 2009 1:00 AM PDT

Accroding to the Microsoft's Resolution:

__
If the AppGUID identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this identifier.
7. Right-click the program, and then click Properties.
8. Click the Security tab.
9. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Customize, and then click Edit.
10. Click Add, type Network Service, and then click OK.
11. While the user is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:
? Local Launch
? Remote Launch
? Local Activation
? Remote Activation

Please take notice of the step 10, I can't find the Network Service account.But I have the Network account and the Service Account,just add them both.The following steps are just as the MS write.

The error report never appeared again.

Collapse -
Dell probably si not a problem - network sw probably is
by MEKanerD / June 30, 2010 6:40 AM PDT

In my XP Pro SP3 the first time I noticed any NETWORK SEVICE messages in my Event Viewer was the very same date I installed GBridge. Probably that's also when the NT Authority/ Network Service account disappeared.

Most of the people seem to have this problem with Dell laptops. My computer is a custom desktop combo and it has nothing to do with Dell. I suppose the XP Pro license that came from my local dealer with the hw package has probably nothing to do with Dell distros either.

I suppose this error has something to do with networking software (well, the error comes from Netman... Happy ) like GBridge in my case. Is there any special network software coming with Dells?

GBridge users have reported weird networking problems even after they have uninstalled GBridge. It would be nice to know whether they have got their NT Authority/ Network Service accounts back...

I just applied Omicron97's fix, let's see will it help. My Event Viewer shows these errors are coming in bunches of 8 twice a day, so I will know soon.

One thing it surely did, was messing up the Vmware virtual adpter ip address of my Vmware LAMP installation... Now it is the same as GBridges ip address and I can not connect to it... Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?