General discussion

XP SP2 update

Evertime I try to download this and up date my computer my Internet explorer comes to a screeching halt. I can opens my home page ok but then it takes literally 30 min to load each following page.I have tried numerous times over the last 6 mths and every time it has the same result. Please help as I have no more restore due to turning it off to do a virus scanning.
September

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP SP2 update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP SP2 update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Spyware?

SP2 often causes problems with spyware, and IE has a habit of attracting huge quantities of the stuff, most without the user ever knowing about it.

Have you verified that your system is (relatively) spyware free? Also, have you tried a browser that's a little more secure like Mozilla Firefox? IE is a rapidly sinking ship, and personally I'd get off before you go down with it, but that's your choice.

- Collapse -
Spyware

Have Adware which I just used (and use frequently)and Zone Alarm Security Suite.I will look into the Mozilla Firefox as well. Thanks

- Collapse -
It sounds to me like

you have a lot more problems than downloading SP2. You said "Please help as I have no more restore due to turning it off to do a virus scanning.". Did you ever get rid of the virus? Why didn't you ever turn system restore back on? What I would do is order the CD from Microsoft and while you are waiting for the CD to arrive in the mail do the rest of the prepration without leaving out ANY of the following steps.
You have to be completely prepared for SP2 which means. Spyware free, Adware free, virus free BEFORE you install SP2, Also go to this link from Microsoft which also has links inside of it that will tell you what to do to prepare, including programs that are known to have problems which you may have to patch BEFORE you install SP2. Also go to your computer manufacturer's web site to see if any programs that came with your computer (non Microsoft programs) that need some sort of a patch BEFORE you install SP2. After all of the above, you should have no problems. Here is the Microsoft link. Hope this helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6794/en-us/

You can order the CD free from Microsoft on this link here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

- Collapse -
How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Collapse -
Thank-you very much everyone!

The virus scans were to insure this wasn't the reason I have been having so much trouble. I am very disillusioned with XP. Was told basically I would have to by it as the other windows operating systems were going to stop updates. So I reluctantly purchased it on my new comp only to be confronted with an unuser friendly operating system that I can't seem to fix myself anymore (what happened to 3.1 and 95's ease of operation and maintenance). If I hadn't spent so much on programs I would so by a Mac! Sorry that's my rant for the day, looks like I call my computer guy in once again for the simplest of jobs. Thanks again everyone I'll let you know if I finally get the boat anchor up and running again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info