Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP - SP2 on CD

by jrbishere / October 9, 2004 12:27 AM PDT

I ordered SP2 directly from MS the last week of August. The CD has yet to arrive. When I upgrade I prefer to do so from a CD. Has anyone any experience on receiving this from MS, how long it takes, how well this works compared to downloading, etc.

I look forward to your suggestions.

jrbishere

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP - SP2 on CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP - SP2 on CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP - SP2 on CD
by Yew / October 9, 2004 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: XP - SP2 on CD

I've gotten about two of them from MS, and rather quickly. Early on, they were having problems with their online ordering system, so it's possible your order never got processed. I'd just try again.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 9, 2004 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP - SP2 on CD

I agree about ordering it again. I also ordered it and the end of August, recieved it and installed it less than a week later. As long as you do everything that Microsoft suggests to do BEFORE you install it and also visit your computer manufacturer's site to see if there will be any conflicts with programs that came with your computer and also make sure your system is completely clean of adware/spyware/viruses you should have no problems.

Collapse -
by shoorty777 / October 9, 2004 12:39 AM PDT

I seem to recall that it only took a couple of weeks to get it and I was surprised at how quick it got to me, they did state 4-6 weeks.

Collapse -
by vpvelumd / October 9, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

I ordered the CD and got it quicly within 1 week. I used it to update and it did not succeed. I had the same problem with auto update installation also. I am somewhat lost at this point. It says that it cannot read or write to the data base. I have windows xp prof which was upgraded from MS windows 98. I have to call MS for tech assistence,I think. VP

Collapse -
I downloaded mine. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2004 3:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Congratulations Wayne, you
by John Robie / October 9, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I downloaded mine. . .

were a strong holdout with lots of reservations. It indicates your computers are in good shape. Now there is Brenda52 who is going to try, and of course SumerBrez was going to do last Tuesday and is still apparently........??

Collapse -
Re: Congratulations Wayne, you
by SumerBrez / October 10, 2004 7:05 PM PDT

has NOT yet.. *smiling* Good Morning John..and now its Monday and more i READ the more *hesitant* i become..Anyway been reading and collecting the whats..the causes..and how to fix things..Just trying to be prepared somewhat "if" there are problems!
Right before i close internet,clean pc and put that CD in,,Im gonna POST here..

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 11, 2004 1:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 12, 2004 11:44 AM PDT

Thanks..For the *smiles*.

Collapse -
by Brenda52 / October 17, 2004 9:07 PM PDT

Brenda52, thats me, did it with no problems!!!!

Collapse -
by bbaumg / October 9, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

HI-I got my CD from Microsoft in about 2 weeks,so I suggest you reorder it.Yes,I do believe you need the cd for sp2 update.Even with the cd,its still a pretty long install.Also-if you ever have to wipe your computer & start from scratch,you've got the cd right there.Im not having any problems with sp2 installed from disc.

Collapse -
by skippy / October 9, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

Hi, ordered mine around the same date, received last week by Purolator (6 weeks)
Worked fine, inserting the CD is about all you have to do beside re-starting your PC at the end.

Collapse -
by Lavrenty / October 11, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

My copy of SP2 on CD arrived in less than 10 days and took about 1/2 hour or less to install without problems. I tried to download it from MS earlier and figured, by my estimate, would have been an all night venture and beyond at 56K dialup in rural NH. I cancelled that and ordered the CD.

Collapse -
by Tom B. / October 15, 2004 1:06 AM PDT

I recently recieved my CD ordered online and it only took about 5 days. I am however having the same problem which prompted me to order the CD. The install wizard hangs up whether using automatic updates or manual and so does the CD. I'm using XP Pro.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2004 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP - SP2 on CD
Collapse -
by gpodhiny / October 17, 2004 11:51 PM PDT

I received my SP2 CD within 3 days. I suggest you resubmit your order.

Collapse -
by shoilee / October 18, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

I ordered a CD and it arrived in about 10 days. I've yet to load it because of some issues it has with software I currently have installed. Plus I'm pretty well covered, security wise, with the firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-pop-up, etc, etc, I already have installed.

Collapse -
by jcrobso / October 19, 2004 2:01 AM PDT

I know of a few people who orded it, none have recived it yet. I downloaded the full update and installed it from there usualy took about 20~30 min. I did try on from the update site took about 80 min.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.