Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP2 not recognizing nearly any USB2 device

by jaredhocutt / March 20, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

i put SP 2 on my comp recently, and i cannot get it to recognize pretty much any USB device without DLing a driver for it, even on things like joysticks that i have seen put into a xp puter(not sure if they were xp or not) and they were instantly recognized. I even coudlnt get it to recognize my external HD or dell memory stick.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP2 not recognizing nearly any USB2 device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP2 not recognizing nearly any USB2 device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

"i cannot get it to recognize pretty much any USB device without DLing a driver for it"

That's proper. Microsoft does not supply drivers. That's what we get to do.

Collapse -
by jaredhocutt / March 21, 2007 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

its just that my comp wont even recognize my ipod either, and i have never seen or heard of a problem with an iPod like this before 9installed and reinstalled and reDLed itunes a couple times as well as installed it with my iPod plugged in and not plugged in) and i have seen newly installed OSs recognize the exact same joystick im using.

Collapse -
I've seen that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

But my example was not a Microsoft XP CD but a restore CD. The restore CD copied in a lot of drivers so the owner was saved from having to find drivers.

As to your iPOD that's pretty well known. One lesson is to never just plug in a device without checking the instructions. For instance I would never plug in my ipod to a new machine until I had installed itunes. Or else.

To fix this unplug the pod then boot safe mode and look in the device manager for the ipod. Remove it if found. Reboot and if itunes is installed try it then.

I purposely omitted instructions about motherboard drivers since your posts left out details asked for each time you post. Those words in red are there to help others help you.

Collapse -
ah sry
by jaredhocutt / March 21, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen that too.

i didnt think to add the system info but here it is:
My system configuration:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Motherboard: MSI MS-7260 Ver 1.0 K9N Neo nForce 550
Video Card: BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GS
DVD-RAM Drive: NEC Optiparic model number AD-71
RAM: 1 GB Kingston

My operating system:
Windows XP SP2

Also, is the restore disc you are talking about somethign you buy, or is it just somethign that people make from their old puter and put on the new one?

Collapse -
almost forgot to add
by jaredhocutt / March 21, 2007 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: ah sry

if the restoire disc is somethign that someone makes, then is it possible for me to just get the drivers for external HD, joystick, flashdrive etc. from someone else's comp?

Collapse -
Since this appears to be a home made PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: ah sry

You didn't really tell I'll just guess.

-> Home made PCs and retail versions of XP mean you get to find and install every driver. Those HP, Dell and others are chock full of drivers to prevent calls to tech support for issues like you are writing about here.

--> More to the point. There should have been a CD with the motherboard that you installed after the OS which supplied support information to the XP OS. I update this on my machines from the maker's web site so I have current drivers. Microsoft's update driver button is not reliable here.

For the nForce chipset I get that from

PS. There is no restore CDs for home made systems.

Collapse -
ah yeah it is
by jaredhocutt / March 21, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

sry bout that too lol, im not used to giving my specs so i didnt think about including that. As for the cd with the motherboard, there was one, but all it had drivers wise was a system driver, the realtek HD audio driver for my on board sound card, some utilities, and some weblinks to various sites(software, freeware, shareware mostly)

Collapse -
by jaredhocutt / March 21, 2007 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: ah yeah it is

i tried the thing with my iPod, no luck.. windows is still asking me to install new hardware when i plug it in, and i couldnt find the iPod in the device manager either in safe mode in the device manager.

Collapse -
I noted where to get the nForce driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: iPOD

Since that didn't help I'm at a stopping point here.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?