Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP2 download causes problems with Outlook

by YHarris / November 4, 2004 11:46 PM PST

The XP update SP2 affected my Outlook and now when I download my emails (Send and Receive) it will not stop. It continues to download old messages so that I end up with duplicates and triplicate messages. I now have to manually cancel 'send and receive' once I receive my new emails. How can I fix this. I use SBC DSL and they have an update but it didn't work for me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP2 download causes problems with Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP2 download causes problems with Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP SP2 download causes problems with Outlook
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:59 AM PST

Not sure about Outlook because it is normally used in businesses and downloads email from a Microsoft Exchange server.

But if you are receiving them again and again it seems they are still on the server and haven't been deleted.

Is there a setting in Outlook where you can "delete from server once deleted from my computer"?

If not contact the server administrator.

Mark

Collapse -
by welldunn / November 5, 2004 11:29 AM PST

I cannot help except to back up your claim, YHarris, of duplicate emails after installing XP SP2. It doesn't happen with all emails, only some (it seems at random). I have XP Home Operating System and Microsoft Office Professional 2003 of which the Outlook is the application in question. I hope this may help with the troubleshooting you techies do so well.

Collapse -
Outlook 2003?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 11:36 AM PST
Collapse -
by phillipb2 / November 6, 2004 7:57 AM PST

I run Outlook XP(2002) and had no problems w/SP2 install. However Outlook is a little quirky anyway. Past C/Net articles talk about how Microsoft has not upgraded it much compared to other email Mgrs.
Possible Fix: OPEN HELP TAB IN OUTLOOK AND JUST ABOVE THE 'ABOUT' LINK AT THE BOTTOM IS A LINK CALLED 'DETECT AND REPAIR'. It changes everything in MS office back to their default setting. Warning: back up your data files and existing email you want to keep plus all contacts/addresses as they will not survive the repair. I found out the hard way, since their is not warning telling you that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.