Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?

Heard tons about what SP2 does for IE. If I'm a NS 7.1 user, should I worry about this "security update"? Since IE is so integrated with XP, does running XP without SP2 leave my system vulnerable? What other changes, besides in IE, does SP2 do?

I'm asking because I will soon be going to college, and be hooking my system up to the college network for Internet access. I know the sys admin. of the college, and know that we are well protected from outside attacks. I have Norton Internet Security to prevent attacks from the inside. (IE Other students)

Is it safe to wait until X-Mas to install SP2? I'll have more time to correct anything if something goes wrong that way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?

In reply to: XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?

See the Top 10 Reasons to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 article.

What the article doesn't say is that there are changes in some hardware drivers. If SP2 is installed and for whatever reason (example: applications compatibilties) you want to revert back you can uninstall it via Add/Remove applet.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: XP SP2 and IE - Anything else?

Not that I'm trying to get out of being a responsible e-citizen, and fixing security holes, (Well, I guess I am) but..."Do I have to?"

If I use NS, what's the difference? Do the driver patches increase security, or is the driver section of the upgrade standard issue?

Collapse -

After you read my previous provided link and still asking "Do you have to ?" the aswer is: your choice. Your environment using: NS + NIS + campus firewall should be the same as usage for both SP1 and SP2.

As for some drivers changes this is un underhood stuff (example: networking related) and does not relate with security issues.

The drivers info are for

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

Oops! I didn't even see that link. Sorry!
I think I probably will upgrade, but it'll wait until I get to college.

Thank you for all your help!

Collapse -
You are welcome and..."Good Luck" ... (NT)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.