HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

XP SP2

by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 10:29 AM PST

I got my XP cd from a friend. I want to install SP2 but it wont let me validate my cd. When i had 2K it was also given to me from a friend and i had no problem installing SPs. Is there any way to validate my copy or get around that completely so i can install SP2?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead End...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: XP SP2

Unless your friend bought a copy of Windows XP for you, or has sold his old copy to you (removing Windows XP from his computer and destroying all copies of the software and license), your copy of Windows XP is illegal. (You do not posess a license for it...he does.) In that case you'll be unable to download most updates, free Microsoft add-ons, etc, validate Windows, register, request tech support, and so on. Also, if this is the case you'll find no help in these forums, and we do not condone or support piracy or other illegal activities.

If he did transfer all copies of the software and license over to you, you'll have to contact Microsoft and file a change of registration so that you may proceed. That's the only way.

Sorry.
John

Collapse -
OK
by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Dead End...

So how would i go about contacting microsoft to have them validate it for me. As far as i know its not an illegal copy.

Collapse -
Contacting Microsoft...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: OK

When validation fails I believe (I've had problems with MS Office, but never Windows) they give you a phone number to call to validate/activate/register the software. If not, call 1-800-RU-LEGIT for the Microsoft Piracy division. You can also try 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) and have them transfer the call.

Here are some main points:
* You must have the original Windows XP CD. Click here on info how to tell.
* You must have the product key.
* Your friend must have knowingly transferred complete ownership to you.
* Your friend must have destroyed an/all copies he had.
* Your friend must have uninstalling that copy of Windows from his computer.
* This must be a retail copy of Windows XP.
* Your friend must have purchased it legally.
* This copy of Windows must not have been transferred before.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
It may be a totally legal CD
by Ray Harinec / January 28, 2006 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: OK

but your reusing it is what now makes it illegal if the original owner still has it on his computer.

Collapse -
XPSP2
by fmag / January 27, 2006 7:21 PM PST
In reply to: XP SP2

Hi coreyp. I had a similar problem. I ended up having to purchase a legal copy of the CD. Everything is now working. Microsoft have taken the action to stop illegal CD's by making every user register wth them. Hope this helps. Gopher2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.