Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP SP-2 & HD Installation

by The_Marine / June 22, 2005 12:44 PM PDT

Current configuration: Dell Dimension 4100, 10 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP Home SP-1. I want to install a much bigger HD and install XP SP-2. I also want to replace my DVD Drive with a CD writer to burn backups. The 10 GB HD is OK, but 5 years old and about 80% full. My initial plan is to keep the 10 GB HD running after I install the big HD. Here's my dilemma: I have no experience doing these procedures with a Windows machine. Can someone advise me/provide references as to the best sequence in installing the new HD and installing XP SP-2 such that the new HD is the master drive (wiring harness positions, connection - disconection, etc). Also, how do I ensure all the various applications that work directly with the OS (address books, drivers, virus eaters, etc.) are moved to the new HD without damage. Any assistance is welcome. Of course I cannot afford to lose anything on my system, and everything is too big to dump to my Zip discs. Therefore I need to be very sure of what I'm doing before I start.

Thanx again, Richard B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP SP-2 & HD Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP SP-2 & HD Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions
by AussiePete / June 22, 2005 1:54 PM PDT

1/ Are you going to have both your DVD-R and your CDROM r/w connected.
2/ What is the new XP SP2 disk you have now got - an OEM or upgrade, or full retail disk - or just an SP2 service pack upgrade disk.
3 Do you want to keep XP on your old disk and dual boot or are you going to use it as a storage drive.
Peter

Collapse -
note on moving programs
by Merl Priester / June 22, 2005 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Some questions

You will need to re-install programs, you cannot just move them to the new drive.

When installing XP, DO NOT have your old drive connected at the time of install. XP will see the old install and give the new drive an letter of E: right after the CDROM

Recommend installing 1 hard drive and 1 cdrom until the install is done.

Look at how the existing drives are jumpered.
If they are on CS (cable select) put your new hardware the same way. Then the last connection on the ribbon cable becomes the MASTER and the one in the middle of the cable is SLAVE. If they are jumpered MASTER or SLAVE or in some cases the drive has no jumper or is set to not create a jumpered connection, read the label and set the old drive to SLAVE and the new one to MASTER. One MASTER/SLAVE per IDE cable.

Put hard drives together on one cable and CD drives together on the other.

But as I said, only use 1 HD and 1 CD during the install. After you install you can put the other drives back on. ALWAYS attach and detach cables etc with the power cord to the PC disconnected.

Use XP to partition and format the new drive during the install.
After XP is running be sure to install the mainboard chipset drivers. Many people forget to do this, and it is imperative that these drivers get installed.

Collapse -
installaiton of new hard drive
by txweezie / June 24, 2005 2:58 AM PDT

So after you've installed XP, shut down, changed switches and cables and restarted, does the old drive still have XP on it too? I'm assuming it does but system boots to C: cause that's what specified in system setup. So you can then go in and move your files (My Docs, etc.) to the new drive and then reformat the old drive. Is that correct?

Also: In preparing to install my new hard drive, I've done my backups but data files only, to include the download directory for programs I've downloaded. Do I need to backup up the whole drive?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Installation of the HD and XP
by The_Marine / June 24, 2005 4:57 AM PDT

Merl, thanks for the info. I was afraid of that with regard to programs. I had hoped it was like my old Macs which was simply a matter of copy disc. Yuk! I have had enough problems with Norton AV as it is and it only recently has settled down.
Anyway, from what you said, I gather that I install the new HD jumpered as Master, temporarily remove the existing HD, and boot the system using the MS Windows XP SP 2 disc that Microsoft sent me. It will then boot the computer and install the OS on the new virgin disc. Correct?
Now, after the new Master has the OS and is in charge, are there any gremlins that will crawl out of the old disc when I install it as the Slave and boot up my system? What is the best procedure to completely disable the OS on the Slave disc? As we all know, there are a zillion files scattered everywhere as part of the wonderful world of Microsoft operating systems.

Thanks again for your help,

RB

Collapse -
OS Installation Concerns
by The_Marine / June 24, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

I have just realized that I may have difficulties installing the OS (SP-2) on a new HD. My computer came with Win 98 installed. All I received was the Dell emergency recovery disc which I have never used. I do not know what is contained on that disc. I bought the XP Home (SP-1) upgrade and installed it against Win 98. The CD clearly states UPGRADE and indicates that the disc will examine the existing OS to ensure that it is legal so XP may be installed. The Windows XP Home SP-2 disc I received from Microsoft also clearly states "This disc contains free updates for Windows XP". Knowing Microsoft, am I wrong to think that neither the first XP Home upgrade disc nor the XP SP-2 upgrade disc will perform a stand alone installation on a blank HD? Does anyone this side of India know whether the Win 98 recovery disc will install an OS which may be upgraded by my two XP discs to give me a decent OS? Can I install the SP-2 upgrade on my existing HD, then somehow port it to the new disc and then designate that as the new Master? Geez, why does Microsoft make things so difficult?

Thanks for any insight and assistance,

RB

Collapse -
if i'm not mistaken
by jonah jones / June 24, 2005 5:54 AM PDT

your Dell recovery disk will have a "bare bones" win98 install on it, so:

on the new HD
install windows 98 (the recovery disc)
upgrade to XP
install SP2 (you can skip SP1)
re-install your programs

jonah

Collapse -
In my experience...
by Dick White / June 24, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

I've seen troubles with the XP Upgrade (of whatever SP) accepting the validity of those gawd-awful restore disks of a lot of the big OEMs. I've heard that an upgrade version of XP will install if the targetted machine is actively running its old version - in other words, it will upgrade over top of its older self even when that was an OEM version in its original creation. But that has its own set of issues, that often any absurdities that have crept into the old version after all those years will be transferred straight through to the new installation. That's why I always do a clean install on a newly reformatted (or brand new) blank disk.

But in my own practice, when I have to do an upgrade on one of these OEM monsters, I first assure myself of the validity of the original license, reformat, and then slip in my own true-blue MS Windows '9x original hologram CD to satisfy the XP installer. At that point, the customer can have the old Gateway disks back and hang them on the rearview mirror for all anybody cares.

In your case, you may need to stumble the long way around the barn. If the XP install disk won't accept your original restore disk when you attempt to clean install on your new drive, you might try this somewhat complicated work around.

Open your machine and put the old disk back in, as master on the boot channel. Put your new disk in as slave. Do what ever you need to about the optical drives, and boot up into the old Win98 operating system. Put the new XP CD in the drawer and let it start its routine. When it reaches the point of asking if you want to upgrade the version of Windows it found in C:\Windows or do you want to install a new copy somewhere else, force the installer to go to the new physical drive. You'll have to partition and format as part of the first step, but your old drive should remain untouched. However, you need to be very very very careful that you are absolutely sure you've gotten the installer oriented to the new disk and not the old disk. Otherwise everything on the old disk will be toasted. Once you get XP install on the new disk, you can simply rearrange the master/slave relationship of the physical disks on the IDE controller (change jumpers, cable select, whatever) and boot XP on the new disk. The old disk will simply be the next drive as plain storage - with, can you believe it, all you old data right where it has always been except now it's on D. None of your old programs will work, but you already know that.

As for all the mixed up drive lettering of the optical drives after all this swapping around, you can go into the system administration properties and manually reassign the drive letters of any logical device. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to set all that up the way you want before/during the install, but the shortcoming is recoverable. Don't sweat the little things.

As for that service pack disk... it will only upDATE your operating system, it will not upGRADE it. Use it after you get XP running for an easier patch to SP2 rather than dealing with downloading it all from WindowsUpdate. But after you patch with the CD, be sure to go back to WindowsUpdate and retrieve anything newer since that CD was produced.

dw

Collapse -
DO NOT DO THIS
by Merl Priester / June 24, 2005 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: In my experience...

If you install XP with 98 booted, XP will be on the D: drive, the bootloader will be on the boot sector of C:.
This will end up in a dual boot.

Upgrade disks will not do this as there is no Win98 on the new drive to upgrade and would violate the license anyway.

If you only have a restore disk that does in fact not have a Win98 setup folder on it, you can do a clean install on the new drive, but you MUST show a win98 or winme factory CD to the XP install software.

It will thne continue to do the install only it will be clean. Terms of license says you have to keep your old WIN98 OS disks to be XP leagal for the upgrade. So just hang on to the restore disk.

You can borrow a copy of Win98 or ME from someone else or maybe they have an old disk laying around they would give you just to show the XP install.

There is no particular need to wipe XP from the old salve disk, but since the new install desk not need any files from there, feel free to delete anything from it you wish.

The SP2 disk does in fact upgrade XP only to SP2 not win98 to XP.

Collapse -
Answers to Some Questions
by The_Marine / June 24, 2005 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Some questions

#1. I will only have the CD r/w connected. The DVD is only a player and for now I need the other connector for the ZIP drive.

#2. I ordered the XP Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.

#3. No dual boot. I guess I will use it as a storage drive, but not backup because it is 5+ years old.

Thanks Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?