General discussion

XP slow after re-install

I recently formatted my computer and reinstalled XP. For some reason the software is funky now. When I try to scroll down a page, whether document or internet explorer, it is really slow and choppy - choppy in the sense that it seems like the page is trying to catch up. I do not have a problem with it being slow with other things (like typing for instance). After I reinstalled windows I also put on microsoft works suite 2002 and Norton internet security. I don't think these last two things are part of the problem as I noticed it starting during the re-installation of windows. Please help!

Thanks in advance

jason

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP slow after re-install
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP slow after re-install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why did you reinstall the operating system?

How did you reinstall windows? Did you use an XP CD or a restore CD provided by the manufacturer? If you used the XP CD, did you reinstall all of the drivers?

- Collapse -
XP slow after reinstall

I used the reinstallation cd provided by the manufacturer for XP. As far as I know I did reinstall all of the drivers but I do not know how to check for certain. Should I reinstall the drivers?

thanks

- Collapse -
Re: XP slow after re-install

This usully happens when you didn't install the drivers for your motherboard, video card, etc.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Re:XP slow after re-install

I agree with Cetin. You need to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard,Not necessarily the ones that came with it. Check online for newest drivers. If it's an Intel based Chipset,download the FREE chipset ID utility from Intel. Then downlaod and install the Latest software for that chipset. Also,Check to be sure your Hard drive is running UDMA and not PIO mode. Most new drives will run UDMA5.If you're running an older then 875 chipset (intel),you can use the Intel Application Accelerator,Free Download. This can not be used on 875 or newer chipsets.My own system had my hard drive running in PIO Mode,soo i updated the chipset software and went into the Device Manager and Deleted the Primary and secondary IDE Channels,forcing windows to rebuild them on next startup. Now running UDMA5 and difference is like night and day. Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Ray

CNET Forums

Forum Info