General discussion

xp shutdown time

I have xp home on a compaq presario x1000. I've been cleaning, dumping, fixing things on it lately, and all is well, except for the start-up and shut-down times. When shutting down, it takes apprx. five minutes from start>turn off computer until the shut down/re-start menu appears. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: xp shutdown time
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: xp shutdown time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
xp shutdown time

Hi,
If you have cleaned everything, I would suggest defrag. More radical would be re-installing.
You probably have already tried reg cleaners..

Maceman | Working @ Macecraft Software
- the authors of jv16 PowerTools utility suite

- Collapse -
xp shutdown

Thanks. De-fragging now. We'll see. I can't re-install. This is my wife's computer that I bought maybe ten years ago now. I don't have anything that came with it. It's used only as an internet machine. Once it's on-line, it works just fine, speed wise. Just curious about the shut down time.

- Collapse -
It is unlikely to be a de-fragmenting problem

In fact I don't see how de-fragmenting would solve this.

It is more likely to be some software or other failing to shutdown properly. That's not easy to find, but as an example, I just updated my ZoneAlarm Pro internet Security software, (a normal update offered by ZoneLabs), and noticed a similar slow down in the shutdown procedure.

My own research took me to the Zonelabs forum and I found there that, possibly, ZA's debugging logs were taking too long at shutdown. I've just disabled ZA's debugging log but haven't checked yet by shutting down, so I can't tell if that will work for me.

But I think that is where you should be looking, software that is running in the background that is not closing down properly. Other things that could cause such a thing are those apps that use the network, eg P2P, Instant Messengers, Real Player, and so on.

XP's Event Viewer console may help identify possible causes.

Mark

- Collapse -
Just on another note.

I see you mentioned that you wouldn't be able to reinstall.

Given the age of the computer, (and it's done well), you may want to consider what might happen if anything does go wrong with the system. You may already have done so of course, but I'm thinking backing up all those important, can't afford to lose files like photos, music, documents, videos etc.

You don't say whether this is a PC or a laptop, but if it is a PC, when was the last time you opened the case and blew the dust out? You may be surprised how much is there, and dust can cause heat build up inside the case, and that in itself can cause problems. There's a video about that here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
xp shutdown

Thanks again everybody. The computer is a laptop, and everything of any importance is backed up on another drive on the network. I will definitely be looking into what might be running at shutdown, but I don't get any warnings about forced shutdowns or anything. I'll let you know what happens.

- Collapse -
Reporting back my own findings

So far so good. I disabled my firewall/AV suite's debug logging, and my own shutdown has speeded up considerably. Two shutdowns so far, but time will tell if that has solved it for me.

These things don't always appear in warnings, so hunting them down is difficult.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info