Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Service Pack 3 query

by jevenew / June 4, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

On my small network, I have three machines running WinXP, SP2 version 2002, IE7, AMD powered, and according to BelArc, I have updates through 05/15/2008 from SP3, with the sole exception of MS07-045, which, inexplicably, says it needs to be reinstalled. There are no listings for SP3 in Installed Programs. I have updates set to automatic, and my question is--Do I need to install SP3 formally? Also, will the System Properties update to show that SP3 is installed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Service Pack 3 query
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Service Pack 3 query
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 2:36 AM PDT

If Windows Update only lists that one item I'd skip SP3 since Microsoft has some method to not list it on machines that meet some criteria (sorry but I decline to list that.) As to MS07-45 the most common failure of this is some PROTECTION SOFTWARE blocked it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945701 is worth noting as it appears there are HOTFIXES that are not released so my advice is...

If its working, don't fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
My System Properties does
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 2:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
My System Properties does
by jevenew / June 4, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

Thanks for the response, Bob. The only recent glitch I have had with my machines involves IE7, when an occasional page had to be refreshed before it would load.
Mark, the General tab in system properties on both machines show XP Pro, version 2002, SP2.
A recent repair to a friends machine resulted in a repair install. When I was completely done, the system properties showed that I had indeed downloaded and installed the whole SP3 package from Microsoft's Update.

Collapse -
Not sure what you are saying.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

In your first post you talk about a small network of 3 computers, but now you mention a friend's computer, a repair install, and when you were done, you had installed SP3.

Is this friend's computer one of the 3 in the network?

If all 3 computers in this network have AMD processors, are they Compaq/HP machines? If so, you may want to take a visit to the HP web site and search around for articles on the problems some of their HP AMD processor computers had when installing SP3. It seems some process during the install disabled the Operating System. HP have a fix, but it may not be necessary on all AMD processor machines.

Mark

Collapse -
Not sure what you are saying.
by jevenew / June 4, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

Mark, in my initial post, I spoke of my network, and the fact that nowhere on my system did it show that SP3 was installed, even though Belarc shows many updates listed as SP3. All my machines were built by me.
In a subsequent post, I stated that on a recent repair/install of a friends machine, after all was completed, the general tab on system properties actually showed that SP3 had been installed.
Hope that clears up any of your confusion.

Collapse -
Ok
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 6:19 AM PDT

Thanks for that jevenew

It's a mystery why System Properties in any of the networked computers do not show SP3. I would still visit Windows Update on all 3 machines and see if there are still any updates being offered.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.