Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Dell forum

General discussion

XP Service Pack 3 on AMD

by xrunner / March 21, 2009 2:06 AM PDT

I have a Dell Latitude 131L with an AMD Turion processor, running Windows XP/SP2. Having read horror stories about installing SP3 on some machines with AMD processors, is there a way to find out if I can safely install it on my machine?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
re: WinXP sp3 and Turion processors
by Dell-Jesse Dell staff / March 30, 2009 12:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
A real answer
by Dellirious1 / April 6, 2009 6:23 PM PDT

After installation of XP service packs, Windows boots to blank screen, but can boot to safe mode.

1)Start your computer in Safe Mode.

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.

3) Click the pluses(+) next to the following registry keys
to navigate to the correct spot.

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

* SYSTEM

* CurrentControlSet

* Services

* Intelppm

4) In the right hand column find the entry titled START and double-click on it

5) Change the number to 4 and click Ok

6) Close the Registry Editor

7) Shut down your computer and restart

Some real advise would have been nice, I am sorry Dell customers.

No respectable tech will refer you to a 1 year old article, and somehow lead you to believe that not installing Windows Updates is a good idea,

Shame! Dell and CNET (I am sure CNETs reviews of Dell products will be completely independent)

LOL

Collapse -
SP3 on AMD
by xrunner / April 6, 2009 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: A real answer

Thanks for your help. The registry key you directed me to is already set to 4. Does that mean that SP3 will install without incident?

Collapse -
re: SP3 on AMD
by Dellirious1 / April 7, 2009 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: SP3 on AMD

There are no guarantees,

SP3 in general has caused fewer issues than SP2 did, it is ofcourse recommended that you back up before doing anything like installing a service pack (but the same goes for any other hardware or software).

Worst case scenario you perform a PCRestore after the fact and then upgrade. I have done it countless times on countless systems without incident, and have had no issues except Automatic updates failing to work after the install (very easy fix, post here if you run into it).

Some best practices before installing Service Pack.
1. Update BIOS and Drivers at support.dell.com
2. Back Up Data
3. Update and temporarily disable Anti-Spyware real-time scanner (can sometimes block the installation of core files) (Note: Anti-Spyware, not Anti-Virus).
4. Make some coffee, this can take a while, be patient, even if it is taking an hour.

The additional security especially with wireless, and performance gains most users experience is definitely worth it.

I hope this helps.

I will follow this thread in case you need more help, I love participating and helping out, but am opposed to this CNET/Dell alliance as you may have noticed. So will not be active here in other posts.

Collapse -
XP SP3 Troubleshooters and Prep Guide
by Bugbatter / April 7, 2009 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: re: SP3 on AMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!