Windows Vista forum

General discussion

XP Server, 2 XP Clients, 1 Vista Client, Networking Problems

by cold83 / February 27, 2007 2:49 AM PST

This may be a long post and I'll try to explain it as best I can, please bear with me.

I have an office network that consists of a Server Computer running Windows XP. At one time we had three client computers running Windows XP connected to the Server Computer and a Satellite internet connection using a Linksys 10/100 5 Port Network Hub (Model # NH1005) and a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (Model # DI-604). Everything worked pretty good.

We've replaced one of the client computers with a new Compaq with Windows Vista. It's able to access the internet fine; however I can't access the files on the server computer. The Network and Sharing Center only shows a connection from:

Vista Client Computer -----> Network ------> Internet.

It doesn't show any of the other computers on the network or the server computer. I've went through the quick fix issues on the Windows site. I tried disabling the firewall, made sure the Network Discovery was on, and made sure the Public Folder Sharing was on.

I pinged the Server Computer and one of the XP Client Computers from the Vista Client Computer and all the packets were sent 100%. But when I pinged the Vista Client Computer from the XP Server Computer the Request Timed Out. When I pinged the Vista Client Computer from one of the Windows XP Client Computers it timed out again.

So I'm at a loss for what I should do next. I only have a limited knowledge of networking as I didn't set up this network in the first place. So any tips, pointers, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Server, 2 XP Clients, 1 Vista Client, Networking Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Server, 2 XP Clients, 1 Vista Client, Networking Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
vista network issues
by lavelljs / February 27, 2007 5:36 AM PST

Try this link:
It solved some of my problems. I can see the vista system from the xp system but cannot access files. Check out the "Hardware>Networking & Wireless" forum, the post "xp to vista network" for some more information. If you figure it out let me know. I am still struggling.

Collapse -
Accessing files XP to Vista
by stan1213 / February 27, 2007 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: vista network issues

The only way I have been able to access Vista files from my XP units is to copy the vista files to the vista "Public Folder" Have been trying other methods for days with no success. No problem Vista to XP.Any suggestions welcome

Collapse -
Possible Solution
by vistaprobs / March 2, 2007 9:31 AM PST

Don't have Vista, just researching possible problems. Found the following post from "Lancew70" Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm at another forum here:

He says he discovered:

Sorry to have wasted your time Jeff.

I think I'll change my forum name

Did this help anyone?

Collapse -
There are dozens of things that can cause sharing issues
by Insight Driver / March 2, 2007 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Possible Solution

No, turning off password-protected sharing did not help hundreds of us who post on the Vista threads at Microsoft so I would guess there are thousands of people with issues. This seems to be so common that it makes it clear to me that Vista was pushed out the door too soon. I've done everything that was suggested and I still have issues with my XP computer not being able to see the Vista computer shared Public folder. I have it mapped, but in network neighborhood Vista doesn't show.

I'm happy for those folks who solved their issue with something relatively simple. For a lot of us there are unresolved issues with Vista to XP sharing after we exhausted all the known solutions.

Collapse -
Found my problem (with vista sharing :-)
by hebol / March 20, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

In my small firewall protected network I couldn't access files from my new Vista machine.
Even though I tried to enable all.

Not until I read through the long M$ text I realized I had a 90-days firewall from Norton installed alongside with the Vista Firewall.
So when I enabled enough of the windows sharing protocols I managed to find and access folders and printers in my small SOHO-network.

Good Luck // Martin

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?