Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP requireing login, how to bypass

I must of done something so that now when I go from bootup to desk top, a window opens up wanting me to log on. How can I revert back to the old way, from boot up straight to desk top? Have a Compaq Presario, windows home XP, sp2.I downloaded tweak U1, and got myself into trouble, did a system restore and still have the log on window. Any one, help, I loved the old way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP requireing login, how to bypass
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP requireing login, how to bypass
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if this works for you

In reply to: XP requireing login, how to bypass

Control Panel, User Accounts, change the way users log on or off. Place a checkmark in Use welcome screen and remove the chackmark from Fast user switching.

Collapse -
XP requireing log in

In reply to: See if this works for you

"retired" told me how to handle the problem, followed his advise and am now ok. Again thanks for all the info people sent me, and a big THANKS to "retired" for makeing a comtemplated problem simple.

Collapse -
Some new program installation must've done it

In reply to: XP requireing login, how to bypass

Yeah, this happens when you install certain programs, though I can't think of which one does it. Basically, if the above comment doesn't work, try this:-

Click start button, then click Run. type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes, and press OK.

A window will open up and you will see this:- "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer". Uncheck this option and press Apply. Then a prompt will show up with a heading:- "Automatically Log On", asking for username, password, and confirm password. Just enter the username that you normally use in the Username field. Then press OK to close that window and press OK to close the first window. Your done. Test it out by restarting your computer. Please post your results Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.