General discussion

XP Repair and Critical Updates

An XP Repair on Dec. 24 removed all my Critical Updates from Add/Remove. Is this usual?

Since 1:00 AM today, I have not been able to get on WindowsUpdate to bring everything up-to-date again.

My thanks.

Miki

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP Repair and Critical Updates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP Repair and Critical Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Miki, Yes, That's Normal

The "Repair" using the XP CD will take the version back to the version on the CD.

I know you're still hesitating about this, but Service Pack 2 will install all of the updates except for about 5 or 6 that have occured recently. It may also fix your connection issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Miki, Yes, That's Normal

Grif -- Thank Goodness.....it is normal! Happy

So many problems....I cannot get my USB ZIP 750 to work O.K. after I do a restart or shutdown the computer. I have to keep uninstalling the USB Mass Storage Device with the yellow marker and disconnecting and reconnecting the zip unit for the drive to be recognized and the exclamation point to be eliminated......and then it works fine. Probably has to do with the lost updates.

I thought there was something wrong with the Windows Update site, but it is me who has something wrong. Windows Update is up and running. Since I uninstalled the NetWork Adapter to get back online after the repair, it is the only website I encounter that I cannot get on. My firewall settings remain intact -- I dunno what this is about.

I am getting all my "ducks" in order to install XP SP2 from the CD. I am awaiting to hear from Dell whether or not I need to install one of the later 8250 BIOS. Mine is A01 and the computer was built end of October 2002. I think it will probably fix some of the issues. LOL -- It seems as if I have no choice now. Lots of problems with SP2 in the Dell Forums.

Thanks so very much, Grif.

Miki

- Collapse -
Why can I not get on Windows Update?

Darn frustrated, I am! -- I get to Windows Update; the page turns gray and the title bar reads Microsoft Windows Update -- but the hourglass does not go away. I cannot use Escape or Stop Loading, and I have to do control/alt/delete.

I have tried from AOL; I have minimized AOL and used I.E. (the latter always works when there is a problem).

I cannot understand how the repair from the XP Installation CD caused this to happen to only one Microsoft Website. I cannot think the fact that I have lost all my Critical Updates would do it either.

If it were not for the fact that nothing happens, it feels as if a firewall alert might be holding things up.....I dunno!

Anybody got a clue?

I apologize for being everywhere on the forums and for being so needy the past week or so.

Miki

- Collapse -
I Think I Know What the Problem is....

Windows Update redesigned their website after the XP Installation CD was made. I think that is part of the problem. I installed the files for the new Windows Update, but that did not work.

I went to Microsoft Downloads to install the cumulative IE6 SP1 Updates, since I am unable to get on Windows Update, and received message 'The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install'. Maybe I was rolled back to an older version during the repair from the XP Installation disk. In IE, 'SP1' never appeared in the version -- only the build -- so I cannot be sure. I have I.E. 6.0.2600.0000.xpchnt_qfe.010827-1803. Would that be I.E. SP1.....or not?

Miki

- Collapse -
Hi Miki
- Collapse -
Hi Miki

Hi Roddy -- I appreciate the link, but I found that one already and it is from where I got the information in my post above, "I Think I Know What the Problem is...".

What I need now is for someone to compare their I.E. version with that of mine in the post to let me know if my present I.E. includes SP2. I think when all the HotFixes were removed in the repair from the XP installation CD, I.E, was one of them. I now have version 6.0.2600.0000.xpchnt_qfe.010827-1803. I think this is the reason my Zip USB 750 is not working properly, too.

If only the repair had solved my original issue Sad

Miki

- Collapse -
CORRECTION to "You are posting reply to...miki

Miki incorrectly posted: >>What I need now is for someone to compare their I.E. version with that of mine in the post to let me know if my present I.E. includes SP2. <snip>> I now have version 6.0.2600.0000.xpchnt_qfe.010827-1803.

CORRECTION -- Should read 'let me know if my present I.E. includes SP1'.......Sorry....I am in a bit of daze.

Miki

- Collapse -
Miki, MY version is

6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-215Cool but I don't think that will help you because I am completely up to date with XPSP2 and ALL critical updates including the ones from a couple of weeks ago.

- Collapse -
Miki, MY version is

Hi Roddy -- thank you so much for posting. I just Googled and was able to determine that my Version 2600 was I.E. without SP1. I put SP1 back into my system, and it now reads 2800. I still cannot get to Windows Update, however, but I will do the cumulative IE SP1 update on Microsoft Download to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you again.....Miki

- Collapse -
You're welcome Miki but

If you still have problems, you might just be better off doing as Grif suggested on another post and start fresh. I agree with him if you keep having your recent problems. I hope you haven't pulled all your hair out yet trying to figure all this out. Wink

- Collapse -
You're welcome Miki but

I am not pulling my hair out.....yet Happy but I am slightly comatose. All this has been ongoing for too long. I am awaiting another call from the MS research engineer due at noon. Right now, the thought of starting from scratch does not sound appealing -- I panic easily. Can't you tell ? Happy

What I need is my very own guru!

Miki

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good luck, keep us posted. :D
- Collapse -
Reply to Roddy's "There are a number of us"

Thank you, Roddy -- that is a very heartwarming post. I am overwhelmed and grateful for all the good thoughts coming my way from CNET.

Miki

- Collapse -
Batch to restore auto update

I had some problems with the above, apparently caused by an old version of 'Easy Cleaner'. (Thanks by the way for the forum of helping me out). It restored my autoupdate, eg. it started to download updates again. If you want to try to restore it, here are the commands (use 'run'):

net.exe stop wuauserv
regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe wups.dll
regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe MSXML3.dll
net.exe start wuauserv

enter them one at a time!

- Collapse -
Batch to restore auto update

Hi Kolossus -- Thank you for your input --it is appreciated. My Windows Update problem was a result of several other problems. I did a reformat and reinstall last Sunday, so everything is O.K. now.

Miki

- Collapse -
It could be your settings

I have experienced this problem. In my case it was an optional setting on my firewall that said Enable Stealth Mode Browsing that caused the Windows Update page to endlessly run the hourglass. The Windows update site needs to know what operating system and browser you are using. When in stealth mode, it cannot figure out this vital information.

I do not know if it is possible to also set your browser and cookies to cause this problem. Perhaps some of the anonymous surfing programs may also be denying Microsoft the information that it is looking for on the update web site.

Anyhow, if I were you, I would play around with my browsing settings and see if the Windows Update page will work with different settings.

Let us know what happens.

- Collapse -
It could be your settings

Hi peapod -- I wish it was my settings. There was an original problem which prompted the XP Repair. The original problem was not solved, and left me with more problems -- Windows Update being one of them. We have tried everything and we have tried disabling NAV and NPF. My computer is not a happy camper, and the best I can do for it is to begin again.

I appreciate your suggestion and post. Thank you.

Miki

- Collapse -
Updated BIOS

Miki..

For whatever it's worth, I had been getting all "my ducks in order" since SP2 came out! One of those ducks included an update of BIOS from Dell. If I remember correctly, when I updated BIOS on 12/9/04, they told me there had been a new update issued this past April.

Despite the fact that I avoid calling them at all costs, they were kind enough to do it with me over the phone... AND .. I was able to understand their "broken" English! You might want to give it a try.

FYI.. short of a minor problem.. everything went quite smoothly.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good Luck!

- Collapse -
Updated BIOS reply to curcat

Hi Curcat -- I had frustration beyond belief with Dell telephone support. At the time I was searching for updated BIOS, there were two BIOS versions for Dimension 8250 -- A03 and A04. I was not sure which one to use or if I should upgrade my A01 BIOS for SP2. I finally sent a FAX to the home office and help came my way. I now have A04 BIOS on floppies and ready to go at reinstall time.

It was not the "broken English" that was the problem. The "killer" was that I got courteous but clueless people who disappeared and returned with totally unrelated information. Not one of them understood word, "BIOS".

I am pleased to hear you are doing well with your updated BIOS. That is good news!

Miki

- Collapse -
BIOS Updating

Very interesting discussion of more problems associated with installing SP2. Reading of such for several months now have caused me to be content with SP1 and all other current updates from MS. I have good security and am conscientious about running scans for the evils that may have gotten into my system, XP Home 5.1.2600 SP1 running on a Dell 8400.
Since I have had no major problems, I am wondering if I should consider updating my Dell A01 BIOS. With the exception of SP2, I like to stay current. But with a relatively smooth running system, should I "fix it if it ain't broken"? I have been led to believe that flashing a BIOS can sometimes end with a dead one, I have not been willing to take the chance.
Do any of you have strong feelings on this? I too have not been eager to call Dell unless it is a last resort, so was curious about getting A03 and A04 on floppies. How were you able to do that?
Thanks for any words of wisdom as I consider myself pretty much of a novice.

- Collapse -
BIOS Updating

Hi marways 1 -- Your post gives me food for thought. I am surprised that your Dell 8400 and my two-year-old Dell 8250 have the same BIOS version.

I, too, run a tight computer and have been reluctant to install SP2. However, it has to be done sometimes....so might as well do it now. There will be a time when SP1 will no longer be supported methinks.

Dell tech tells me that if upgrading to SP2 I need to
update the BIOS. On Dell's community forum, some say it doesn't matter if you do or you don't, and that SP2 is fine either way. Successes have been reported on the Dell forum with and without upgrading BIOS. I hope the tech that sent me the E-mail saying I need to upgrade BIOS for SP2 knows what he is talking about.

A03 BIOS is no longer available -- just A04. It was very easy to get the BIOS file to floppies, even when holding one's breath and trembling as I was Happy. It is even easier if you do not have a floppy drive and do everything from the Hard-Drive.

I will know soon enough -- I will be starting my reformatting about 1:00 P.M. today.

Miki

- Collapse -
Miki and Marways 1

I too believe I run a "tight computer". I am extremely careful with what I do and where I go. When I receive an email, I not only think about who it is coming from, but how knowledgeable THEY are. (I love my sister dearly. She would never knowingly send me anything "unwanted", but she pays no attention to security!)

I think I have read every article that exists about problems with SP2. You will always find them.. as you will about the necessity of having it. At some point, I believe it is around April 12th or 15th, I don't think you will have much choice.

If you do all that is recommended, as far as preparation, I don't think you should have a problem. I could post lists, as to the preparation, but I am sure you have seen them all. (I had one MINOR problem. I posted it here.. it was addressed and fixed immediately. My faith in this site is undaunting!)

And lastly.. I am not big on surprises, or for that matter "change". Just do it!

Good Luck!!

- Collapse -
I entirely agree

with Miki and curcat.

Eventually you will need to upgrade to SP2, and the trick is, be prepared first. If, as you say, you have a clean system then you are more than 3/4 of the way there. Upgrading to SP2 doesn't cause problems, it merely highlights them. Something myself and others have said many times recently.

I run a Dell 8300, purchased in 2003. I seriously considered upgrading the BIOS, but decided not to, but I agree the information and advice from the Dell techs and forums is very confusing.

For my own part I delayed in upgrading to SP2, I had this big yellow streak down my back! But I set aside a day to myself, (just in case), prepared properly, and the download and upgrade went very smoothly.

I am pleased I did it now.

Good luck to you.

Mark

- Collapse -
Mark.. I agree

with your agreement!! :^O And an additional thanks for help with that MINOR problem and smiley's tip.. Cool.

Have a good weekend.

- Collapse -
BIOS Updating

Thanks to all for the insight. Think I'd better get myself psyched up, my system prepared and SP2 installed. Believe I'll probably update my BIOS as well.
Take care.

- Collapse -
Repair, as in. . .

System Restore? Or boot to Repair Console? Either way, unless you went back to before SP-2 it shouldn't remove that. Unless!! When I upgraded to SP-2 I now only show SP-2 in Add/Remove. If I remove SP-2, SP-1 is supposed to come back and list all the updates.

What do you get when you try to update?

- Collapse -
Repair, as in. . .

Corphaeus wrote: >>System Restore? Or boot to Repair Console? Either way, unless you went back to before SP-2 it shouldn't remove that. Unless!! When I upgraded to SP-2 I now only show SP-2 in Add/Remove. If I remove SP-2, SP-1 is supposed to come back and list all the updates.What do you get when you try to update?

Hi Corphaeus -- There is some confusion here methinks Happy

(1) I did an XP repair from the XP installation CD.

(2) This repair damaged the System Restore program so I then had to install a new sr.inf from the XP CD.

(3) I have not yet upgraded to XP SP2 -- I am still using SP1.

(4) I mentioned I was trying to get to Windows Update to update the Windows Hotfixes (critical updates) that were removed from my system as a result of (1).

LOL now I am confused Happy

Miki

- Collapse -
Miki, Just My Opinion Here, But....

...I wouldn't be spending this much time on the current problems. (Unfortunately, you've had quite a few headaches lately.) A 'repair" installation helps in some situations and causes more problems in others. If it were me, I would do a full reformat and reinstall of your system. Hopefully, it should fix all of your problems. It will not take much longer than the "repair" did and you could immediately install SP2 after the installation.

AFter the installation, you can choose to use or not use AOL...you can choose which other programs to dump or not dump as well.

Of course, in my situation, as long as there are backups made to important pictures and documents, it's much more expedient to reformat and restore the computer back to when it was "clean".

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Miki, Just My Opinion Here, But....

Grif -- Your opinion is VERY important to me. I just finished an hour and a half with MS research engineer and still have same issues with Windows Update, USB 750 Iomega Zip and the System Configuration. We both need some time off, so I will connect with him again on Saturday and will speak to him about reformatting. I keep two backups of pictures and documents -- CD-RW and ZIP USB.

Grif -- I don't think AOL has anything to do with any of these problems, but do appreciate your thoughtful concern Happy

Miki

- Collapse -
Grif and Roddy....thank you

Hi Grif and Roddy -- The thought of having to reformat and reinstall is overwhelming to me right now. If I knew of a guru in the area of Los Angeles or Orange Counties, I would happily turn it over to him/her.

I used the Dell Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP for the repair -- I am afraid the same problems will occur again when using it to reinstall since the MS engineer said it was very unusual to lose Windows Update and my USB Zip in a repair, which the computer now does not recognize after every restart or shutdown -- I have to each time uninstall the mass storage device in Device Manager, disconnect and reconnect Zip unit in order for it to be recognized. When my computer was set up by Dell tech, everything worked and was recognized by Windows XP, but he did not use that CD. There were lots of drivers that needed updating even then.

I have reformated only once, and that was with my old Win 98 as a result of Dell's tech replacing a motherboard that Windows did not recognize.....it is not an everyday thing for me to do. I know I can do it, but I would rather not as the timing is bad.....LOL actually when would the timing ever be good?

I thank you for your help and good thoughts. Will keep y'all advised.

Miki

CNET Forums