General discussion

XP repair

I need to do a Windows XP repair on my laptop. I do not have the original disc but do have a genuine version for my Desk top.

Can I use this disc to do a repair?

If not can I use it (legally) to start again?

Thanks

Colin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP repair
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry but that will be a no on both counts.

The laptop will be an OEM version and will be different from the desktop. The product ID code needed during the installation isn't going to work when doing a repair installation. Your options are to contact the laptop manufacturer for recovery disks or to do a fresh installation with a full version of XP that's not currently in use on another machine. What comes from the manufacturer will have the needed drivers for your laptop. What comes from a retail establishment will not. You'd still need to acquire the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's web site or from the those who made individual components such as audio, video, network etc. The MB chipset would be critical and probably only available from the laptop manufacturer.

- Collapse -
Forget legal issues.

I've watched many try this and it dies quickly or gets worse. OEM pre-installed OSes are not built to be repaired. The OEM either provides a repair feature that preserves your files or you don't dare do this. That is, if you feel lucky, back up what you can't lose and then ... pull the trigger.

I think it best you learn this terrible issue first hand. Just be ready with a mop to clean up after if files are lost.

Ok, there are some repairs that are possible but not given this story.
Bob

- Collapse -
Well I have done it!

I have managed to do a repair, and everything seems to be back to normal

Except 1 thing.

I have been running in safe mode for a while, but no longer.

Unfortunately the background color is still red.

What can I do to revert to blue? Or is there something still wrong?

Colin

- Collapse -
have you tried changing the desktop

background through the Control Panel?

CNET Forums

Forum Info