Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Rebuild

I would like to rebuild an XP computer from the original gold XP CD (no service pack). I'm a little concerned about doing this and having the computer connected to the Internet. However, the computer is behind a Linksys router/firewall with all ports closed. Should I be concerned about exposing the XP installation to the Internet until I get SP2 installed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Rebuild
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Rebuild
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably...

In reply to: XP Rebuild

Probably, though being behind a router's firewall will certainly help. I generally find the best thing to do is just make my own installation CDs with the latest service pack integrated, or slipstreamed, in. They're not that difficult to make, and with the leftover space on the CD you can include a few other useful things like drivers, an AV installation program, etc. So if you ever have to reinstall everything again, you can be reasonably protected before you ever have to connect to the Internet.

Collapse -
Yep, I Also Have SP2 and SP3 On Disc.....

...so I can leave the computer offline during the main installation processes which include the service packs. While offline, I can install everything and that includes the antivirus, antispyware, firewalls, and most everything else...

If you need them, the full downloads are at the links below.. I've copied them to CDs for use whenever needed:

XP SP1a
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83E4E879-FA3A-48BF-ADE5-023443E29D78&displaylang=en

XP SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

XP SP3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif

In reply to: Yep, I Also Have SP2 and SP3 On Disc.....

I was wondering if SP3 would have SP1 & SP2 included or do you need to install all three.Fish

Collapse -
SP3 Says That It Supports All Previous Versions But...

In reply to: Grif

...a note at the Windows SP2 & SP3 instructions tell you this;

Note You must have either Windows XP Service Pack 1a or Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed in order to install Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I can only tell you what I've done.. I HAVE previously install SP2 on Windows XP "original" and XP SP1 versions.. And I HAVE installed SP3 on Windows XP SP2 versions only.. I can't tell you for certain whether SP3 will install correctly on computers which only have XP SP1 although the instructions say it will..

On the other hand, the link for SP3 download which I provided in an earlier post states: "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system." which indicates that it's an "inclusive" type of update.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thank's for your reply Grif.

In reply to: SP3 Says That It Supports All Previous Versions But...

Collapse -
As well as the other 2 good posts,

why not just disconnect the computer from the internet whilst you install XP. Then when you are ready to connect up to the internet, make sure the Windows Firewall is on. It should be sufficient protection from any inbound hacking attempts until you can set up the system the way you want.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.