Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Professional x64

by Richard64 / June 18, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

Have had x64 running great except for the Following; My floppy disk drive,
my CD-ROM and My DVDRW, have started showing the Same problem "Windows
cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted
or missing. (Code 39)" Have followed all troubleshooting suggestions and
Even reinstall x64 but no luck. Can anyone pleas help or at least send me
in the right direction.

Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Professional x64
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Professional x64
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a nutshell..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2005 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Professional x64

You may need to ask the machine supplier to cough up the drivers or replace hardware that isn't supported by XP-64.

For now, the supported hardware is on a very short list.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Ouch! I was afraid of that
by Richard64 / June 18, 2005 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: In a nutshell..

I new I could count on your response Thanks again. I think I have hit a dead end. All state the same Standard CD-ROm Drive; Standard DVDRW, Standard Floppy disk drive. Problem does not appear at first. This Last time it run 24 hours a day for 5 days before it appeared. A system restore may work anywhere from a few hours to 4 or 5 days. If anything rings a bell let me know

Richard

Collapse -
Win XP Pro x64 what anti-virus available?
by terenceA / March 6, 2006 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: In a nutshell..

What anti-virus program has been made available to those of us that lept into the 64 bit system before looking?

Or must I install a second system (x32) to run my old virus software and my old video editing software and my old...etc.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Avast Home (free) and Pro support XPx64 quite nicely.
by John.Wilkinson / March 6, 2006 2:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Check out PlanetAMD64
by John.Wilkinson / June 18, 2005 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Professional x64
PlanetAMD64 is an online community dedicated to 64-bit software and hardware. If there are 64-bit drivers available for your drives, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, you'll have to stick with a dual-boot system and use Windows XP32 to access your drives until 64-bit support becomes available.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!