General discussion

xp problems

hi am on the verge of binning my laptop.problem started when got a virus.was told to format all drive c:then reinstall xp using the disc from manufacturer.first message i got was relating to the ram.so i changed it.now when i try to install xp it gets as far as 35mins then asks for the service pack 2 disc to be put in.computer then crashes saying 1386 file is missing.any help would be most grateful thanks as i dont really want to throw away this laptop.laptop is 3 years old and is a medion model 2230 thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: xp problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: xp problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Please share the first message.

Put it in quotes so we are clear what is the message and what you are asking.

- Collapse -
xp probs

hi am on the verge of binning my laptop.problem started when got a virus.was told to format all drive c:then reinstall xp using the disc from manufacturer.first message i got was relating to the ram.so i changed it.now when i try to install xp it gets as far as 35mins then "asks for the service pack 2 disc to be put in".computer then crashes saying "1386 file is missing".any help would be most grateful thanks as i dont really want to throw away this laptop.laptop is 3 years old and is a medion model 2230 thanks.

- Collapse -
No 1386 file here.

Read:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_your_computer_is_missing_file_1386_and_a_file_that_Search_Companion_needs_and_the_printer_software_doesn't_run_do_you_need_to_reinstall_Windows_XP

At 3 years old the common cause is that the CD drive is old or the XP CD is dusty and can't be read. BUT THERE'S MORE. It appears there is some old XP on the hard drive and what's there will cause install problems.

Research DBAN to erase that old hard drive so you can do a clean install. I will not duplicate the web content about DBAN because I would be duplicatign the web.

But do try one thing AFTER you clean off that hard drive. DUPLICATE your XP CD and use the duplicate. I find old CD drives to sometimes deal with the DUPLICATE XP CD better.

Now some may think a 3 year old drive shouldn't need replacing but they only need to get on the service counter for a few weeks.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: service pack 2 disc

So you did get 2 discs from medion:
1. The XP disc (with the original version of XP or SP1 - which of the two?).
2. The service pack 2 disc.

And when does the crash come? Immediately after it asks, or after you put in that service pack 2 disc medion gave you? Or maybe after you put in the wrong disc (just a possibility, isn't it)?

It's a little bit strange: SP2 is from August 2004, so more than 6 years old. I would really expect that in 2007 they wouldn't give you the system spread over 2 discs, but one disc with SP2 integrated. That was what I got when I bought my last XP machine in 2007 at a local shop.
Also strange: that an install of a pre-SP2 version would ask for a SP2 disc after formatting the hard disk.
I'd say something is wrong here.

By the way, are you sure it's 1386? Or i386? And it's a FILE or a FOLDER you mean?

Kees

- Collapse -
xp problems

i got one disc from the manufacturer when i bought the laptop.have formatted the hard drive and then tried to install again. it is now stopping with the following message ***STOP:0x0000007F (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)also have tried to start computer in safe mode but will not work hope this helps thanks

- Collapse -
Google that.

If you type XP STOP 0x0000007F you find the prior discussions on this. These contain the same answers I would give so it's best you try these first.
Bob

- Collapse -
ap problems

ok thanks for all your help will try this thanks again

CNET Forums

Forum Info