Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp problems

I have a Emachines T5026 3.06Ghz, 768mb ram, purchased system from best buy back in march - april. No problems with system until today, I am the primary user that downloads and make changes, my wife basically gets on the internet to shop and that's it.

Today I tried to download the trial version of Trend Micro PC-Cillan 2005. After 5 attempts it kept giving me an error message as to why the program wouldn't connect to the internet. So I removed the hardware from the system and try to use firefox, now firefox is no longer working so I use system restore to back to a save point. After I do this no application on my computer work ie.-after windows boots up normally, I try to open a file and it says "internal error". Any file I try to open such as, mp3,video,word documents. Also IE6,Windows Media Player,almost all programs no longer works, system resore no longer works keeps giving me "internal error" message. The only way I can get to the internet is to open up realplayer and go to the search function and type a web address, this takes me to the msn search page, this is how i get to the internet for help.

Not sure what to do next, I was thinking of using the backup disc that I made when I first purchased my computer, but no really sure how to do that either, but I know I will find some info on the web to help me out. Anybody got any answers, suggestions please let me know, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some info please...

In reply to: xp problems

What is the full and exact error message that you received when you tried to download Trend Micro PC Cillin ?

What anti-virus and anti-parasites programs are installed, and frequently updated ?

What hardware did you removed ? How ?

Collapse -
All fixed now!

In reply to: Some info please...

I've been playing with my computer all day and stumbled across a full system restore. Which basically means that my computer is restored to the way it was when I first purchased it from Best Buy back in March. Sure I lost all my programs and files but it's easier to replace those then to deal with some unintelligent customer support person. Thanks to all those who replied.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.