Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP problem maybe malware infection

by bsalaengphan / May 5, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

Internet was down here for a week following a lightning strike which also killed two people.
On eventually turning on the computer I constantly got a demand to use the password for administrator on turning on, (there isn't one) so I decided to turn this password demand off. The next time I turned on, all my bookmarks were gone, last pass had disappeared as well as my addons.
Malware bytes discovered PUM removed, I removed this.
This morning however the computer seems to be slowing.
Sorry about the confused nature of this question, I suspect that I am going on line with the wrong identity?
Windows XP, AVG virus protection.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP problem maybe malware infection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP problem maybe malware infection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It sounds like you've learned the hard way
by wpgwpg / May 5, 2013 9:38 AM PDT

It sounds like you've learned the hard way why you need to back your computer up. I'll give you some things you can do to try to recover, but the first thing you should do is to back up any data you don't want to lose because it sounds like your computer has gotten significantly corrupted and you may have to restore to factory settings or reinstall Windows from scratch.
`
Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
-
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-I-remove-a-computer-virus
-
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/6ab02526-5071-4dcc-895f-d90202bad8b3
-
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
-
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
-
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
-
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks
by bsalaengphan / May 5, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

I am working on my wife's computer in Thailand where hardly anyone has a legit copy of Windows. I don't even know where to buy one.
Secondly, I don't have any restore points before the time when things went wrong! I have backups of my documents but I will lose all my photos I guess.
I will do as you suggest.

Collapse -
There're plenty of places to buy Windows online
by wpgwpg / May 6, 2013 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

For one you can buy Windows from the Microsoft store. For another there're plenty of online stores like Newegg.com, Frys, Best Buy, and others. If you choose to run with an illegal copy of Windows and don't back up your system, you sure are taking a huge risk. Do you drive without a spare tire and no insurance too? Bad choices get bad results. Sad

Collapse -
Thanks again
by bsalaengphan / May 7, 2013 3:04 PM PDT

I didn't say that I had no back ups.Any financial problems I may have don't really concern you as well as not being able to trust the internet at present. I guess I'll have to try on another forum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?