HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP Pro XE64 on my Win7 64bit HP machine

by tincanraider / February 23, 2014 2:22 AM PST

My XP machine died several years back, I bought a new HP dv7-3085dx w/Win7 64bit home premium. I still have programs my business uses that will only run w/XP so I'm wanting to know if there would be any issues I may encounter by installing XP on my 7 machine, assuming it will be partitioned.

I've seen XP Pro XE64 OEM still for sale but before I buy would like to know for sure I won't have any conflicting issues. Also, should I look for the OEM w/service packs or get the SP updates from MS after installing the OS . ?

Thanks for expert advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro XE64 on my Win7 64bit HP machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro XE64 on my Win7 64bit HP machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nothing more than the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 2:25 AM PST

XP, even XP64 does not support native SATA interfaces. There is nothing new going on here and I'd be duplicating the web on how to install and the usual driver hunt.

On top of that you wrote "XP Pro XE64" which came with a hard 127GB drive size limitation. I would be guessing the dv7 drive size but a look finds it's well over that size, a SATA drive and my what a challenge to install XP then recover the Windows 7 system.

Let's hope you know all about recovery of your blown system before you start.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 2:32 AM PST

I'd run it virtual (if that programs allow). Much easier and better supported .See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7.
In fact, I'd install the 32bit version of XP. The 64-bit is considered horrible.

Well, that's not fully true. I'd use my XP-machine (I still have one fully functional, 2 in fact). And if I hadn't one and buying a second hand was text-deductable as a business expense, maybe I'd buy one in stead of going virtual.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Are you aware MS is pulling the plug on XP in April?
by wpgwpg / February 23, 2014 2:33 AM PST

Since MS is pulling the plug on the last remnants of XP support in April, using XP is going to become increasingly risky. In addition installing XP in dual boot on a PC already having a later version of Windows gets complicated because what you'd normally like to do for the install would cause Windows 7 (in your case) not to be bootable. There're ways around that, but the best bets are first compatibility mode, then buying later versions of the incompatible software if possible, then some form of virtualization. If you upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to the Professional version, you can take advantage of the free XP Mode, but again, you're into an unsupported version of Windows. You could also stick with what you have, add Virtual Box, and install XP under that. Another possible complication with XP is that you don't know if you can get XP drivers for your system. Anyway you slice it, running any form of XP after April is fraught with peril, so I'd do everything I could to avoid doing that if at all possible.

Collapse -
It gets better
by Jimmy Greystone / February 23, 2014 5:29 AM PST

It gets better in that support for the x64 version of XP ended already, quite some time ago really. That version never even got SP3.

I wouldn't risk putting that on anything except a VM where you can obliterate it on a whim.

Collapse -
XP Pro XE64 on my Win7 64bit HP machine
by tincanraider / February 23, 2014 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: It gets better

Thanks for the help. I think I'll just look for a VM with XP or a build one and put the OS on it. I have read that many others are also unhappy XP is going away with so many programs dependent on it.

Collapse -
At our office, 1 last app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 11:36 PM PST

And since we have VirtualBox it lives on without any problem. On top of that we can backup, move the VM file from machine to machine without installing XP or doing the driver hunts. Welcome to the 21st century.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.