Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro x64 SP 2 -- This Briefcase requires a newer version

by thecreator1965 / August 4, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

Hi All,

I installed a Evaluation version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 on a SATA Hard Drive, where that isn't the problem.

My problem is, while I can open the Briefcase and drag stuff into the Briefcase in the operating system, I can't seem to save anything I am downloading into the Briefcase from the Internet.

The error message reads: This Briefcase requires a newer version of the software.

Have you heard of this and what the solution may be?

This operating system is the only operating system on this particular Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro x64 SP 2 -- This Briefcase requires a newer version
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro x64 SP 2 -- This Briefcase requires a newer version
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd keep an eye on ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 1:13 AM PDT
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general&tid=95bdab9a-487d-414c-aaa4-3565f7c8918f&p=1

Also since it's a Microsoft error and their software you are entitled to a no charge support incident. However if it was some eval copy then I'd check to see if that was updated. But read this next.

Be sure it's a briefcase from XP 64. You should receive a message that the database is corrupt, that it the briefcase can be opened only in x64 not in 32-bit XP, in 32-bit it always gives the message "this briefcase requires a newer version of the sofrware". Also a briefcase created by x64 can not be opened by 32-bit XP.

There are also similar issues which affects the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.

Bob
Collapse -
Link asks same question
by thecreator1965 / August 4, 2007 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd keep an eye on ..

Hi Bob,

That link I have always been watching, since I had posted that question.

You are correct, however, I deleted the old Briefcase and did create a new Briefcase in x64 Edition and the same thing occurred.

I upgraded my motherboard for my old computer, a Compaq Presario 5714 computer and replaced its case. I also gutted the Hard Drives and other drives and installed them in the new Case. Then I added a SATA DVD Burner and a Seagate SATA 500 GB Hard Drive in the new case.

All drives were reformatted and I reinstalled the operating systems.

Then I wanted to try Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 on the SATA Hard Drive, because I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 installed on FAT32 File System.

When I applied the x64 Service Pack 2, I noticed I could not upload programs into the Briefcase Folder, directly.

That's why I posted the question.

Why don't I upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition? I prefer Outlook Express with its Identities over Windows Mail.

I wanted to see if I could use the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition with this Mach Speed P4MSD-800D2 mothoerboard and a Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHZ processor.

The motherboard supports IDE Drives and two SATA Drives, internally.

Collapse -
Why don't I upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

Because I'm reading issues like this as well. In my view there is now no good reason for the 64 bit versions until you exceed about 3.5GB and even then you get to find out issues like this one.

It's a bona fide bug that you need to lay at it's creators doorstep.

No cure has been issued.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?