Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro wSP2 to new mobo

by Ray Harinec / November 11, 2006 10:08 AM PST

A friend of mine just had her mobo zapped by a nearby lightning hit.

Her XP CD is about a year old.

The mobo was a Gigabyte [3.0 P4]. By luck she has another computer with an ABIT mobo and the same CPU etc. However her main computer is in a server case and has numerous drives etc. Thus she will move the Abit mobo into that case.

She wanted first to take the CPU from the ABIT and try it in the Gigabyte. I recco'd against that as too risky.

The key question is whether XP will run on the system when it has a new different mfr's mobo. All other things are equal. Her boot disk is a SATA drive. She has the ABIT CD so she should be able to install the SATA drivers.

My question, from reading some forum posts, is whether MS requiring a new XP buy for simply a mobo change is actually in effect now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro wSP2 to new mobo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro wSP2 to new mobo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possibly
by jackson dougless / November 11, 2006 10:17 AM PST

I've found this sort of thing to be a real crapshoot. Sometimes it'll work with a simple reactivation, other times you have to do a complete reinstall. No way to tell which of these she's going to run into until you try it. So, I hope she has backups if it comes to that.

Collapse -
Today I find it rarely boots and runs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2006 11:37 AM PST

I'm always performing a repair install then the motherboard drivers and all those other drivers. Installed programs can fail along the way so be ready for a few hours in recovery.

Bob

Collapse -
I've Only Tried It Twice...Both Unsuccessfuly...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 12, 2006 5:48 AM PST

In both situations, the new motherboard wasn't recognized correctly by the hard drive as you would want... A subsequent reinstall of XP on the new machine worked for us but that's because our agency had enterprise installation options to install XP Pro from.. I doubt that the same would work correctly with a normal home user.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
And now, the rest of the story!!
by Ray Harinec / November 13, 2006 8:14 AM PST

The main interest in this thread is whether XP Pro would come up without any problems.

There were numerous problems getting the ABIT mobo installed, after having my football day ruined by being on the phone trouble shooting LOL, it looks as if the only thing that got zapped was a Modem, which wasn't connected via the UPS thus explained why the UPS didn't protect the system She has lost many modems due to nearby lightning strikes and ALWAYS before simply got the No Dial Time notice. This time the Modem prevented anything from working.

Anyway, we knew that XP Pro was on a SATA drive in the Gigabyte, and wondered how to get the SATA drivers into the ABIT ahead of time. After much research we noted that the SATA RAID chip in both motherboards was the exact same model Si 3112. Thus we had hope.

Solving the modem problem was simply totally crappy troubleshooting on my part. Actually I thought she said that she had replaced the modem. And then put into the ABIT mobo. I normally with a new install check with no cards plugged in except Video, memory and CPU/HSF. My training failed to take on the Virgina Hillbilly LOL

Anyway when the ABIT was setup and running XP Pro booted up perfectly gave the message that it noted a number of hardware changes and that she will have to revalidate. It revalidated with no problem, thus for you guys that is the end of the story. I think that in this special case the fact that both mobos used the same SATA/RAID chip was the key along with the fact that even though the ABIT did not have XP on it there was a SATA drive unused, but the drivers had been installed.

Some day she will have to take time to run the Gigabyte on a piece of cardboard and find that it is also in perfect shape.

I haven't looked but expect that some dialog was posted in Speakeasy, LOL

Sorry to make you wait so long, but had to replace a sump pump today for another friend.

Collapse -
That's 'transplanted' hillbilly to you, friend lol
by TONI H / November 15, 2006 2:13 AM PST

I'm the friend Ray was trying to help during his football game.

After hearing a loud pop and smelling a burnt odor, the screen froze up. As I was reaching to power down the computer manually, another loud pop and more burnt odor. After the storm, I tried rebooting the computer, but got nada on the monitor screen. No post and no beeps. I knew the modem had taken a hit, but now assumed incorrectly that the mo-bo or cpu or power supply also took a toll.

I've had other modems take a direct hit, but the computer would still boot up and give me an error message of 'no dial tone'. This one gave me squat.

Replaced the power supply first. Nothing.

Replaced the mo-bo (Gigabyte Titan originally) with an Abit board that was in my spare computer in the process of being put together. Wanted to use my server case. The Abit uses the identical CPU and RAM. Swapped it out, and installed all the same cards from the Gigabyte board since I knew I was going to have to activate for new hardware anyhow because of the mo-bo. Again, nada on a boot...no post screen, no beeps.

Replaced the video card first...again, nada. Took out all the rest of the cards, continuous beeping. Ray checked the user manual for me since he had a .pdf file for it on his harddrive. RAM issue. Reseated all of the RAM and the system powered up with a post screen and a post beep.

Put all the cards back in.....nada again. Okay, now I'm po'd.

Started at the bottom edge of pci slot cards...firewire port, modem, sound, etc. and worked my way up to the video card. Firewire port out, nada. Modem out........VOILA.

Replaced the modem with an identical one new in the box, put the firewire port back in, booted up and immediately got the XP window to activate again due to severe hardware change (mobo). It dialed out and activated immediately no problem. All drivers for the hardware were still in the registry for XP since it was all the same stuff, including the SATA drivers for the boot drive, and I've been back in business.

Fortunately, this was MY system and not some customer's that I was troubleshooting a repair for. Four days of working on this system and troubleshooting an actual customer's system at the same was taking its toll here. Frustration was going back and forth between the two rooms. Her problem turned out to be a bad harddrive that would allow a repair of XP and even a new install, but would end up trashed after the third reboot or so. Waiting on the new harddrive to arrive to finish up hers. It started off with a severely infected system and kept going south from there after cleaning it all up.

Anyway...I'm good to go, and the Gigabyte mobo is probably still good and will be put into my spare system. Modem card that got hit is obviously already at the road waiting for the trash truck to arrive tomorrow morning. I'm almost ashamed to call myself an 'expert' on computer repair/builds when hardware is involved when it never dawned on me even once to just simply remove the freaking modem card.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.