General discussion

XP Pro workgroup setup with adv permission settings

Hi, I am trying to setup a workgroup with 3 computers in my office where there are nearly 20 computers in a network. Its not a domain though.

I would like to share a folder from computer1 within the workgroup with read permissions for comp2 and write permission for comp3. This folder should not be accessible to the remaining 17 computers in the network.

I would like to password protect the folder when accessed from comp2 and comp3.

I have tried different methods to implement this after browsing through web articles on this issue,but with no luck.

I would appreciate if someone could provide me with a detailed procedure to implement it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP Pro workgroup setup with adv permission settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP Pro workgroup setup with adv permission settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Simple. Erect the firewall.

Since you are not asking to do this with NTFS, Accounts and Permissions but by "comp2 and comp3", the only (and undocumented) solution is to use a FIREWALL that can be configured to allow this from comp2/3's IP address only.

I offer no support for firewalls. That's my choice.

If you decide you want the more common solution by account, then look at that.

Bob

- Collapse -
more common solution

could you plese guide me to the more common solution of setting adv permissions. The other two computers doesn't showup in the
sharing and security>security>add(user or group)> location tab. It lists only the users of host computer. but i would like to set permissions for users of comp2 and comp3.

Thanks

- Collapse -
That's at ...

You likely have the simple filesharing set incorrectly. This and more is noted at...

http://www.wown.com
http://www.practicallynetworked.com

I do not teach permissions or duplicate web content. but supply simple answers and reference sites so you can learn.

In short, set the simple file sharing proper, and use the NTFS permissions and make accounts to let who you want to access the share. Remember that this is not what you asked for in your first post. You asked to restrict it to specific computers and not accounts.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info