General discussion

XP PRO won't boot

Hi everyone. I have a Dell running a non OEM copy of XP PRO on a 80 GB WD HDD that was running fine until my grandson turn the power switch off and on a couple of time rapidly on my power strip connected to my PC.

The computer will start normally but now will not boot windows but just stays with a black screen and never gets to the windows splash screen. I have tried running repairs off of the XP Cd including fixmbr and fixboot but to no avail. I tried running chkdsk and get the follwing message "The volume appears to be ok and was not checked. Use /p to check anyway." when I try it I get the following message "the command is not recognized."

I tried a non destructive reinstall of windows but after the computer reboots it again stays with the black screen and never boots to Windows. Thanks for any help you can give. Dan

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP PRO won't boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP PRO won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds like

Sounds like your grandson fried the hard drive. Time for a new one.

- Collapse -
XP PRO won't boot

Thank you for the help. I have put the HDD in a external drive adapter and all my files are there does that make any difference as to whether the drive is shot ? Here is a little info I didn't add earlier I tried using safe mode and last known good config but neither worked and the PC will run from a live Cd and there are no error messages of any kind. Thanks.

- Collapse -
One possibility...

The repair installation should resolve such a bootability issues, but one common issue under XP after suddenly losing power is the corruption of the SYSTEM configuration file, which I have found to linger even after a repair installation. If that is the cause, you can resolve the issue by entering the following at the command line from the XP CD:

md temp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\temp\system.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

If it works, note that some installed third-party software may suddenly report an invalid license and need to be reinstalled. If it fails, your best option may be to backup your personal files from that drive and prepare for a clean installation.

Regards,
John

- Collapse -
XP PRO won't boot

I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll just chuck the drive and but another. Thanks !!

- Collapse -
Usually no need to chuck the drive.

I can re-use the drive but I was thinking that files needed saving.

If I just want to start over I delete the old partitions, create new using the Windows XP CD and installer.

Let the Windows installer format the drive, etc.
Bob

- Collapse -
XP PRO won't boot

I tried the repair that John posted but that still didn't work. If I copy all my need files off of the drive and then do a complete format and install is that likely too work ?

- Collapse -
If the drive is good, usually.

I've yet to find a virus cause a drive to fail. There may be one out there but not yet.

Ok, be sure you don't just format the drive as that will not assure a fresh boot record and more. Use the bootable XP install cd and carefully watch for the question about partition deletion and creation. That's your chance to bring it back.
Bob

- Collapse -
Not all boot errors can be fixed.

I learned that long ago.

It's only an 80GB drive so put in a cheap drive and reinstall. Slave the old drive and copy your files over.
Bob

- Collapse -
Fixed

Thanks for all the help I deleted the partition and reinstalled windows and it's back to normal.

CNET Forums