Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network

by Farmboy / May 30, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

I am trying to network my old Win 98SE computer with my new XP Pro computer. I hooked them up and did the settings - DHCP, file sharing etc (I've done it all the time with XP to 2000) but it would not work right. I broke down and ran the Connection Wizard on the XP machine and made a disk and used it on the 98 machine. It didn't help.

My XP machine can see the 98 machine under the workgroup, but cannot log on. It also cannot ping the 98 machine.

The 98 machine can ping the XP machine but does not see it under the workgroup. I tried the Run command with the XP IP, and its computer name but it did not work.

Am I missing something here? My work around may be to put everything on CD to move it but I was hoping to avoid that. It it possible it is my cross-over cable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2004 2:41 AM PDT

Home made cables can be an issue if they have not been proven to work.

XP firewall running? Try shutting it down.
Check that both machines are in the same IP and subnet range.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
by Farmboy / May 31, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

I have the XP Pro machine hooked up to the internet now and am sharing the connection. The 98 machine can get on to the interent. They still cannot see each other, though they can ping each other. If I have them in different workgroups the XP machine can see the other but says it does not have premissions to get into the workgroup - it is automitically locked out, I don't even get to try to log on. If they are in the same workgroup then The XP machine cannot even see the workgroup IT is in. It says you do not have admin rights. Even though it is in the workgroup and I am a system administrator.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
by Cetin Denislam / June 1, 2004 12:55 AM PDT

From your description, you're using ICS. Windows XP is the Host and windows 98 the client. ICS is working now but the workgroup isn't. Try the suggestions from the following two MSKB articles:

Q318030 - "You Cannot Access Shared Files and Folders or Browse Computers in the Workgroup"

Another methos is to install NetBEUI. For details, read:

Q301041 - "HOW TO: Install NetBEUI on Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP Pro + Win 98 - No Network
by Farmboy / June 1, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

Cetin,
NetBEUI did it for me. Thanks a lot. This really helped me out. You learn something new everyday.

Collapse -
You are welcome ... Posters style (fantasy) ...
by Cetin Denislam / June 2, 2004 3:00 AM PDT

Poster's Motto: I am not computer illiterate, but I think I have reached my knowledge. I think I understand the issue, but I can't solve it.

Description of the problem

- It worked earlier with ? Bla, Bla, Bla

- It suddenly happened, don't know why ? Bla, Bla, Bla

- All this started after ?. Bla, Bla, Bla

What I tried:

1. I did all sorts of things (I have run out of time and mostly patience trying to figure this one out)
2. Called some Friends
3. Searched by Google
4. Contacted all sorts of Tech Supports

Eliciting sympathy

Can anyone help? Please help, it's urgent !

What can I do ? It's annoying and frustrating !

Folks, please tell me what to do !

My friends, any resolution on this?

Final

Thanks in advance, aka TIA. Translation: why come back if it'll be solved Wink

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
use twisted pair cat 5
by reefurbb / June 1, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

when you use a cable/dsl modem or router hub, use a standard in-line cat 5 cable. When going PC to PC (nic to nic), use a "twisted pair" cat 5 where some of the wires are reversed in order. Or you will only get 1-way communication. Also I assume you have different names for each PC.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!