Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro unable to log in

by snowbear / April 25, 2004 1:25 AM PDT

Hello,
I have a laptop with 750hz 192ram 20gigHD I'm running
duel OS system,ME on C:/ and XP on D:/.I let my friends kids use my laptop,and I let them use XP,big
mistake,now I can't log on to XP as there is no loggen
box.XP will boot up to the welcome,but there is no box. I have the XP Pro CD I tried to install it ,but it
won't.I can't get Into safe mode on XP,every time I
try to use the F8 key and boot to safe mode the duel
boot system won;t let me in, It just goes to welcome
screen.I don't know what they did.Is there any way that I can get this log box back,or do I have to re-install XP.The only way I know is to use FDISK from the C:/ drive.( I think) thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro unable to log in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro unable to log in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP Pro unable to log in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 1:38 AM PDT

Try SAFE MODE. And YES, I read your post so here's how to get SAFE MODE by ediing the BOOT.INI in Windows ME...

http://www.google.com/search?&q=boot.ini+safe+mode

Pick the article that makes the most sense to you.

BUT this highlights a discussion I bring up from time to time and that is XP is NOT a single user system. Some try to reduce the number of accounts to one and it is possible, but very unsafe as any loss of password or a "corrupt profile" will lock the owner out without a spare key (account) to get back in and fix it.

In the Safe Mode, you can try the Control-Alt-Delete (twice please) to get the older style name and password logon. IF you didn't rename the Administrator account, then try ... administrator and no password to get in.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP Pro unable to log in
by snowbear / April 25, 2004 2:48 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Went into google and did what you said,got into
safe mode on windows ME. Used Ctrl-Alt-Del twice,
nothing happened,did it again and the end program
box came up? what is it that I should be looking for
In safe Mode. Or what should I be doing.
Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP Pro unable to log in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

"Went into google and did what you said,got into
safe mode on windows ME. Used Ctrl-Alt-Del twice,
nothing happened,did it again and the end program
box came up? what is it that I should be looking for
In safe Mode. Or what should I be doing.
Thanks for your time."

I was under the impression you wanted SAFE MODE on XP. The Google was how to edit BOOT.INI to get XP to boot safe mode without you pressing the F8 or other keys. Try again if you want to do that.

If you can get a XP logon screen, did you try Control-alt-delete twice there? And then the administrator login?

In closing, while I commented about persons trying to reduce accounts in XP, I was also hinting that you need to divulge if you had tried to do this as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP Pro unable to log in
by snowbear / April 25, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

Super,up and running,you can bet,that there will be
more than one login on this PC.Again thanks for your time.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the report back and best of continued luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 6:05 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?