Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro SP2 Clean install

by dpilot83 / January 31, 2007 3:13 AM PST

I'm wondering what order you guys install stuff when you do a clean install of Windows. I'm upgrading my hard drive and here's the order I'm thinking of...

1. BIOS update. I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it but my board is about 2 years old and I think the current BIOS revision is fairly stable and comlpete plus I figured if I'm ever going to do a BIOS update I should do it immediately preceeding a clean install so now is as good of a times as any. Also, supposedly my ASUS board has some feature that will prevent you from being screwed even if you have a bad flash. Don't remember what it's called off the top of my head.

2. OS with required serial drivers. not really sure what that involves but in another thread I was told I needed to have the serial drivers ready to go and push F6 when it asks for them at the beginning of the install (I've seen that screen on previous installs but I've never had to mess with it). I'll do some research on that and will most likely be able to find it so you don't have to comment there if you don't want.

3. Chipset drivers

4. Wireless adapter driver

5. Security updates.

6. All other drivers (probably in the order of video card, sound card and then whatever is left)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro SP2 Clean install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro SP2 Clean install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Asus motherboards...
by spydermanusn / January 31, 2007 3:16 AM PST

come with a utility to flash/update the BIOS within Windows. You can do this before you reinstall your OS.

Collapse -
What We Do...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 7:03 AM PST

Similar to yours except:

All the steps below are done while OFFLINE:
1. Check BIOS for version and update ONLY if necessary.. Usually not.

2. Then, depending on whether SATA or IDE, we partition, format, and install the OS, then the SATA drivers if necessary.

3. Install ALL other drivers...motherboard/chipset, video, audio, ethernet, modem if installed, etc.

4. All our comps use Microsoft Office, so we then install that. Install updated Office Service Packs which have been saved to disks.

5. Install antivirus program with manually downloaded updates to get it current. We keep current updates on disk for this as well.

6. Install a few programs such as the new Windows Installer 3.1 V2, Java, and the newest Internet Explorer cumulative update in preparation for online updates. We keep many current updates on disk for use whenever needed.

7. Make sure a firewall is running and check it's configuration.
_______

Next, we go online:

1. Visit the Windows Update site and install all critical updates EXCEPT for IE 7.

2. Visit the Office Update site and install all critical updates for the version of Office installed.

3. Configure the computer for the network, add it to our domain, and set up Exchange e-mail, etc..

4. Install and update any other software that might be needed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry for long delay
by dpilot83 / February 9, 2007 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: What We Do...

I appreciate the advice. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I've had some craziness with work and such. Anyways, That method worked pretty well. I decided against updating the BIOS. Out of curiosity, why don't you install IE7? Thanks

Collapse -
Just my thinking......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: sorry for long delay

Whilst IE 7 is still a bit fragile, (it tends to fall over quite a bit), to get a re-installed system back on the internet, I would delay upgrading to IE 7 until my system is stable, and I have another browser, eg Firefox or similar, to use as my main browser.

Then I would download IE 7 and use it just for Windows Updates if necessary and the odd web site that doesn't work well in other non-M$ browsers.

Mind you, I've had no problem with IE 7 so far.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!