Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP-Pro sp1-lost defrag

by tcantrelln / June 14, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

Intel D865 /2.6 P4 all updates / good AV, no spyware, booted after being gone on vacation and Defrag was gone-missing-absent- default icon -error box when clicked on, ran SFC /scannow- no joy, found the .inf file for defrag-right clicked-selected install, still no joy, started back thru restore points, finally to the last one ( mid of last month) and fixed it- what can I do to find what broke it??, what could I have done besides repair install- or use a prev ghost image??? Tia...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP-Pro sp1-lost defrag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP-Pro sp1-lost defrag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP-Pro sp1-lost defrag (shortcut.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: XP-Pro sp1-lost defrag

My bet is that some menu item went missing. I'm now seeing a failing in the consumerization of this OS in that there is no connection from an installed program to a menu item. Right or wrong can be debated later, but consumers are expected to learn about this OS and be able to create a new shortcut. BUT this one may be difficult for some since the TARGET is not that obvious.

Here's the target...

1. On the desktop, right click and make a new shortcut.
2. For the target, use the next line as-is

%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc

3. For the Start in section, use the next line as-is

C:\WINDOWS\System32

Hint: Change C:\Windows if your Windows isn't on C:\Windows

4. Place the comment as you see fit.

5. Drag and drop it back to the menu position as you see fit.

Bob

Collapse -
You missed my point-
by tcantrelln / June 14, 2004 10:16 PM PDT

dfreg was no longer there ( in system32 folder) there was a default icon named dfrg, but it was completely non-functional except for the box to select a program to open it with... when I finally restored back far enough, dfrg re-assumed it's proper icon and name and function. As I said SFC was no help- nor was right click and install dfrg.inf...what would have worked as the next step if the last restore hadn't and I did not have a ghost of last week to fall back on???

Collapse -
New information supplied.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: You missed my point-

I didn't read that in your first posting, so I offered the usual issue. As to SFC failing to repair, there are limits to what it can do given all the possible damage to this OS.

1. Defrag, chkdsk is not working on some drives. Example: USB 2.0 drives. I'm half expecting it to start failing on drives that are on PCI support cards.

2. Does the drive pass CHKDSK /F

3. You may have reached the point that the Microsoft repair method is next.

4. You post a lot of problems here. This brings up the possibility you are using your PC in some unsafe manner or you have some failing hardware. What can you reveal about this issue?

Bob

Collapse -
In the last four days
by tcantrelln / June 15, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

Since repairing by restore to last months- I have decided that some of this was self induced-this is the machine which was strange for getting the DVD-/+ R/RW optical drive to behave properly, as part of getting that to work I probably tried too many S/W combo's, so I've gone thru with Add/Remove pro-pulled out everything related to CD/DVD r%rw, used JV 16 to scaveng the registry, then verified XPs own cd stuff works, set several restore points along the way-then made a fresh ghost, and have Installed Roxio6 cd/dvd and nothing else- everything works just right now-eve made a slipstreamed bootable cd with the MS rollup just this morning- defrag is present-workable-etc...run for a few days and decide it was me all along, drive passes chkdsk-(it's on IDE channel-no usb or scsi drives attached). cross fingers -wait 2/3 days-make frequent ghost images...

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2004 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: In the last four days

Some DVD rippers or tools do very odd things to the machine. While I may note DVDShrink seems to fulfill a desire for some, I can't assure anyone that it will work for everyone. I have however never found an issue with Virtual Dub for what I use that for.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.