Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP pro shutdown

by arthur_blair / April 14, 2005 8:31 PM PDT

my hard drive was faulty and was replaced and since I reloaded XP now when I shut down I get a message it is now safe to shut down your computer and I have to switch it off manualy never did this before (athlon 2200 proc 256 ddr mem and Asrock motherboard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP pro shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP pro shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power settings
by AussiePete / April 14, 2005 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: XP pro shutdown

Are controlled by your bios and in "control panel/power settings"
You need to set both of these to your liking.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
xp shutdown
by arthur_blair / April 15, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Power settings

Pete thanks for your input but I looked in all the places you said bios and power but can't see anything can you be more specific

Collapse -
Bios
by harryo555 / April 15, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: xp shutdown

on startup hold down the delete key this should bring up access to your Motherboard where you can make the changes necasary.

Collapse -
Power button
by AussiePete / April 17, 2005 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: xp shutdown

I was vague because every computer is different depending on your bios - some functions of the the power button are controlled in the bios - from memory it will be a matter of selecting S1,S2, or S3 method (your bios may call it something different) suggest your read your motherboard manual and see what and where these power functions are.
To learn about power functions in windows go to "help and support" and type "power options" in the search bar.
In any case, why turn your computer off, why not just go on "standby" - very little power is used in this mode, just enough to keep your motherboard warm - which means you get less ware and tear by temperature fluctuations on the motherboard components and therefore longer life.
Regards,
peter

Collapse -
Other steps maybe needed
by lath / April 15, 2005 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Power settings

you may try this if yr problem still has not been fixed AFTER you have tried all steps that Pete mentioned.

-control panel - add hardware - "yes, I have already...." - next - Add a new hardware (scroll down to the bottom" - "...manual select from a list" - NT Apm/.... - Next -....restart computer
(dont try this solution before you have tried with power option as Pete's recommendation)

Good luck

Collapse -
Maybe burner problem
by Amos16 / April 15, 2005 5:27 AM PDT

Hello - this problem has been known to be caused by Direct CD or some other burner of the Roxio family. If you have them, try uninstalling (if need be back them up on a removable disk) and see if it persists. Amos.

Collapse -
Shutdown issues
by Papa Echo / April 16, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
xp shutdown
by arthur_blair / April 18, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

Thanks to all who submited input but papa echo your info solved the prob ty

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!