Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro restore time

does any know the approx time to restore XP pro + msoffice from a back up on HDD(backup size = 4.8 gigs)using lenovo's restore and recovery. in my attempt, after 1hr and 40mins, the progress meter was still showing 0% so killed it..did i get too impatient?

system... xp pro, lenovo t61, SBB INTEL CORE 2 DUO , 1 gig ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro restore time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro restore time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have an image that if I restore will take...

In reply to: XP Pro restore time

3 to 5 hours. But I've seen times as long as a day because the image was 500GB. The time goes up as the size increases.

It's not clear what's going on in your post as to the details but at 4.8GB I think a hour is an outside limit.

Bob

Collapse -
restore hung up

In reply to: I have an image that if I restore will take...

wow..that is a really fast response...thanks a lot.

since i was seeing 0 progress after 100 mins, i am prestty sure my system (lenovo's restore utility) was hung up. the system does work but i did lose a bunch of minor applications and setting. i am afraid to retry as i don't know if there is problem with the utility, my backup or just a on-time glitch.

Collapse -
Where's your backup?

In reply to: restore hung up

I read that you are using their restore system but where is your backup system. The one that you choose to save what you want to save?

Such backup plans are often thought of after people lose it all (and then sometimes they have to lose it a few times...)

Bob

Collapse -
where is the back up

In reply to: Where's your backup?

the back is on the same "c" hard drive...i created it a while back when the computer was working fine. I decided to back up to this saved backup as i got BSOD a couple times while trying to burn cds

PS. there were no issues while creating the backup and as i recall it took well under an hour

Collapse -
Time to think about a new backup plan.

In reply to: where is the back up

You've found the existing plan fails...

Collapse -
backup plan- what is best?

In reply to: Time to think about a new backup plan.

yes and that scares me and now have no confidence in the built in "rescue and recovery" package. so i have started looking at other products. in the past i have used "instant recovery" and it worked fine but i am sure there are many others...any suggestion? remember this is for a lenovo, running on xp pro.

thanks

Collapse -
What I use is

In reply to: backup plan- what is best?

1. Some external USB drive.
2. A few sets or DVDRW disks.
3. A secure network ssh server.
4. A few select files on an USB memory key.

I have no backup image of the system since I have those on install CD/DVDs.

Bob

Collapse -
what can i use?

In reply to: What I use is

don't know what system (hardware) you have but the lenovo does not come with install cds...you create your own..but..

a. i created my discs (no error popppd up) but the problem is, people have reproted in other forums that the recovery discs one creates don't always work..

b. i could do a clean install but i understand that a "generic" install is pretty complicated as you have to dig up and install drivers for your specific hardware (touchpad, cd drive..)

saving application data is not an issues..i have it on flash drives, it is the system that i have concerns about....so i was searching one of the products that creates an image (os+drivers) on cd/dvd/usbhd.

Collapse -
Those restore CDs are usually fine.

In reply to: what can i use?

That covers the machine back to square one. CLEAN INSTALL is sort of a guru thing. Most owners do not have the time to do that. I've seen gurus take from 1 to 7 days to do a clean install.

As to what hardware I have... My files are worth more than any common USB hard disk so I have a few of those, then 30 DVDRW disks, that SSH server is something we cooked up at the office as yet another safety and then I'm sure you've seen those USB memory keys.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.