Computer Help forum

Question

xp pro repair install 32 minute hang

by Mick / August 20, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

hi
Is there any point continuing to find a solution to this one?
I've tried a number of solutions at the suggestion of other posters on the net, removing pci cards and un needed peripherals which speeds the process up but stopping again at 32 minutes.
setupapi log seems to stop at the ms_netmon. The log finishes saying 'selected best compatible driver'
Install was initially done with XP Pro SP2 disc and a SP3 disc.
Now repair installing with XP Pro SP2 with slipstreamed SP3 download
thanks for any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp pro repair install 32 minute hang
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp pro repair install 32 minute hang
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Look into...
by Willy / August 20, 2012 1:53 PM PDT

Do you have a std. XP install? No slipstreamed or user made one. If you have the original install disc, use it to install. XP SP2 and even SP3 can be gotten alone and then once the original install is done, then update with SP3 that has been gotten from MS download website or other trusted websites. It's possible corrupted area exist on those back-up or user made disc(s).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

See, if doing it that way helps. If you have added anything or changed some h/w as others may have offered to remove them. You may want to disable any bios setting for network, like ethernet, (ports), etc. to make it even simpler. Also, just walk away when things seem to freeze, some items just take longer AND! it may display some error, showing the fault.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I do have the original XP Pro SP2 disc but ..
by Mick / August 20, 2012 5:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

I think I already tried running that again and ended up back at the 32 minute hang at ms_netmon. However trying a re-run of original XP disc now. Only BIOS settings I've changed are disabling onboard Audio and LAN I think. I have a older Intel D915GAV motherboard and don't know what else in the BIOS i might change.

I've walked away till about 3.00am after going half the day at 32 minutes remaining. How long can it take?

Collapse -
Fresh restart...
by Willy / August 21, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Walking away and returning depends, usually I give it 15-20min. just to be sure. Of course, I enjoy my coffee or soda during that time. It really can make a difference, if no result, then try something else.

There were issues of installing SP2 on XP systems in the past. Some fixes had to be done before adding SP3(usually AMD cpu related). The idea of disabling any ports on the bios were LAN, LPT, etc., just to reduce the loading of these. They can be added later or directly driver updated once enabled. After loading the XP install, next would be any vendor or mtrbd. type drivers, etc. original to the PC.

Repair and recovery are two different methods. These aren't interchangeable as it were. So, if you're getting swapping discs galore, then things have gotten confusing, you're seeing the result of incomplete this or that. A recovery/restore process if that fails then you question if the discs are good. XP discs if used alot do get hosed and whatever else during that time XP was released. Which is why, I look at condition of discs and even if not that bad, I easily revert to a good working CD drive as well, temporary for that install. In other words, I eliminate possible areas of doubt and anything due to wear&tear condition.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I'll agree with Willy ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 20, 2012 2:05 PM PDT

that you might best try a fresh installation without the slip streamed Service Pack.

IMMEDIATELY after the installation install ALL of the motherboard drivers as well as any other peripheral drivers for hardware you have installed (such as a graphics card). You stated "The log finishes saying "selected best compatible driver" and that indicates that you have not installed a driver and Windows is having to use a compatible driver for the NIC.

Then install the Service Packs and boot times should be normal (and normal depends on speed of processor, hard drive, amount of installed physical RAM, and network).

Collapse -
thanks for reply. If I get that far on Repair Install..
by Mick / August 20, 2012 5:41 PM PDT

I'll install motherboard drivers before SP3

Collapse -
I notice in your reply to ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 21, 2012 8:10 AM PDT

Willy that you said "Only BIOS settings I've changed are disabling onboard Audio and LAN I think."

Since ms_netmon is Microsoft's NETWORK MONITOR it will be looking for a network and that takes time.

I also note that you keep mentioning a repair install. Repair installations do not always work because sometimes an add-on or an earlier system patch interferes. A FRESH FULL INSTALL is recommended.

You might also try, after the system boots finally, to see if you can UNINSTALL the network monitor update probably added after your previous installation of SP3. This link offers some interesting reading (under the instructions it mentions uninstalling) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?