General discussion

XP Pro & Partition Magic error code

XP pro SP2, on AMD 2600, 1024ram,120gig hd + 80 gig external.
I installed PM 8 yesterday and was adjusting my partitions prior to using Ghost to an external HD.
Changes were done ok according to PM, system rebooted then failed with message
"<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll" not found or corrupt.
I ran the Rescue disks from PM and recieved the message
"error code 1516 drive unmounted".

Where can I retrieve the missing / corrupted file from and how do I load onto OS.

Thanks

Ralph

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP Pro & Partition Magic error code
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP Pro & Partition Magic error code
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
HAL.DLL
- Collapse -
XP Pro + Partition Magic 8.0

Hello,
I cant get into xp to use the commands suggested.
the screen stops with the hal.dll message. when any key is pressed system tries to reboot and goes in a loop.
Any more ideas please.
Thanks
Ralph

- Collapse -
Recovery Console

Did you miss the part about the recovery console and accessing it by booting from your XP CD? If you're trying to boot Windows normally, it won't work obviously. You need to boot from your XP CD to get to the recovery console.

- Collapse -
Imagine the horror...

Of having no XP CD, or only Restore CDs that don't offer the Recovery Console. While I have a 2000 or XP CD to get there, those without get to try the XP Boot Diskettes at www.bootdisk.com

Bob

- Collapse -
System 32\hal error - disc or no disc

I'm having a similar problem as Ralph. When I try to boot up (with or without the XP CD) I get the following message
"Window could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

When I try to reboot, it loops back to the same message. I don't get the chance to go to the recovery console or anthing else.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Collapse -
For bjsr. It appears the CD did not boot.

You need to double check that your machine is set to boot from the CD.

Bob

- Collapse -
For R. Proffitt - Booting from the CD.

Bob,

Sorry to ask what is probably obvious, but what do I have to do to set my machine to boot from the CD?

Brett

- Collapse -
I can't tell you exactly, but its a BIOS setting.

For me to be any more exact, you'll have to heed the forum tip about machine make/model and such.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info