Computer Help forum

General discussion

XP Pro, Log On Problems.

by stucky / October 10, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

XP Pro, HP Pavilion N5000.
Problem:
When going to log onto either one of two accounts, set to load settings without password entry, it flashes my desktop photo/graphic and then, reverts back to the welcome screen, with either account name and the status message of "saving settings" and then, "logging off."

In simple terms, WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS GOING ON?! Oh, and how can I ammend this issue by myself?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro, Log On Problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro, Log On Problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By any chance did you recently...
by Edward ODaniel / October 10, 2005 5:32 AM PDT

find and delete any trojans or "spyware"?

What you describe is a symptom of AdAware deleting BlazeFind (and a couple others can do the same).

If so the CURE is to get out your original XP CD and boot your system with it. Once booted (you may have to change your CMOS settings for the CD drive to be first in boot order) choose Recovery Console.
Find the userinit.exe file in the appropriate folder (it should still be located at C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe).

use the COPY command to overwrite C:\Windows\System32\Wsaupdater.exe

The complete set of commands you need to use are:
CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work although it should, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

Now boot without the CD and you should be able to log on.

Once logged on open the registry editor and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: Userinit
Data: %Windir%\System32\Wsaupdater.exe

CHANGE the Data value to:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, (MUST include that final comma)

You can then delete the wsaupdater file.

If that wasn't it go here and have fun.
http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/TroubleshootingXPBoot/LogonLoop.htm

Collapse -
sigh...
by stucky / October 10, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

Ah yes, as I jog my memory banks... I do recall doing an Ad-Aware scan which subsequently found several malicious objects under the name, Mirar.

Thanks for the prompt reply to my call for help. I'll be sure to update asap when I have the time and sanity/patience to sit down and fiddle with the laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.