Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro - Is it time to start over?

A few nights ago XP Pro started running slow - like something was tying up the processor. I couldn't find any process running so I did several bit level virus scans (Safe Mode) as well as spyware scans. Everything came back ok.

Soon it started taking two, three, even five minutes to start up. The only recent program installs were Canon's CannoScan drivers and Windows Defender. I tried removing these programs but the Add/Remove Programs utility would not populate with any programs. Tried a system restore but everything is the same. I've even tried "resetting" system restore via command live.

Now I figure I have to wipe Windows and start all over. What sucks is having to re-download all the drivers, programs, etc. Is there any way for Windows to back-up the drivers before I go through the torture of reinstalling the devil?

Thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro - Is it time to start over?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro - Is it time to start over?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon driver

In reply to: XP Pro - Is it time to start over?

Have you tried using the Canon uninstaller?

Start
All Programs
Canon
Look to uninstall in one the submenu choices.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
Windows Defender Creates AT LEAST 1 Restore Point.....

every day, sometimes more depending on what you do/install. Several posters have found that after awhile, their restore points are humongous and causing other items to run short on needed resources.
If your machine is clean (!!) then I would try dumping your current restore points, then on restore settings move the slider to the left 'til it shows 3%(?). On my P4 XP Pro, this is enough for 2 + months of restore points. Default is about 12% of hard drive. By limiting the amount of space available, new points will simply overwrite the oldest points first.Worth a try??.

On my 98 SE machine I had a Canoscan flat bed scanner that worked like a charm (using Cannon drivers supplied w/unit). I was completely unable to make this unit function on my new XP machine. Caused all kinds of slow downs & even the odd crash.
Basically, Cannon told me that I wouldn't work, even with updated drivers & I should buy a newer scanner!!!!
So I did!! An HP All-in-one! The native drivers in XP were written by HP and worked without installing any new drivers (just let XP "find" new device). For what it's worth. Good Luck. Happy

Collapse -
Link about. Comment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.