Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro Errors on startup

Irecently had my Win 98 comp fixed up to XP Pro about tow months ago. The first time I started it up I got this error ( ) There is no program under that name in the remove programs list. This error appears immediately after startup, as soon as the desktop is loaded. I have never heard of this program, either. v_v;
A few moments laterthis second error ( )pops up. I have done nothing that I know of to induce it, and I have not tried to fix it.
About three minutes after start-up a third error pops up. I have no idea what this ones means, and as above, do not know whatI've done to cause it,and do not know how to fix it.

Any help on how to fix these problems would be greatly appreciated.

-Gabrielle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro Errors on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro Errors on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bitware v3.0 is an older 16bit fax program

In reply to: Error URLs

I had a similar problem - now that you are running win XP you will have to reinstal it again so that winXP install the proper drivers - i think bitware tries to install a windows NT driver and winxp over rides it with a fix. You will need to find the original CD "which will have "Bitware" written on it amongs other things and then reinstall it back to the same location - do a search for "bitware and you should have a folder somewere with that name - backup any in/out messages if need be and reinstal to the same directory.
There is a 32 bit version (version 6) but from memory it uses the older iexplorer address book file which causes other problems.
To me it sounds as though you dont use the program anyway - it probably came with your modem and you installed it and have forgotten all about it- it which case let me know and i will show you how to uninstall it
Peter

Collapse -
Fax program?

In reply to: Bitware v3.0 is an older 16bit fax program

Well...I know that before I had the comp fixed by my dad'ss friend (who is a software technichian, I think? Something like that), we had dial-up net connection, and the phone line we used was the fax machine. But just after getting xp pro we upgraded to broadband, so we don't use it any more.
Bitware and the Dritek programs I know nothing about - I did some research on the Critek andI think it's something about sorting bookmarks,but I never put it on there. My friend who did up the comp had it for about a week, and he installed a few other programs for me, so that's probably where it came from - so therefore I probably don't have the CD for it, either.
If you could show me how to uninstall it, I'd love you forever. XD

-Gabrielle

Collapse -
Bitware

In reply to: Fax program?

Cant help you with "dritek" or "critek" so i will just tell you how to uninstall "bitware" OK!

First find the folder were the programs are located - usually a folder called "bitware" (would you believe!!!) and simply just delete them.

I presume you know nothing about using "regedit" which is a systems utility that edits an important system file called the "registry" - if you are not an experiance user i am best just showing you how to stop the files from being loaded by the registry but not actaully deleting the entry in the registry - if you make a mistake editing the registry we will be in real trouble OK! - so lets stick to a safer way but it is only a "work around".

You will need to run a program called "msconfig" - to do this just go to "start\run" and type in the box "msconfig" - a window will appear called "systems configuration utility" - click on the "startup" tab - you will see lots of boxes with ticks - find the ones in the "command" column that have something similar to the following:-
c:\..\Bitware\..\*.*
you will need to untick these entries - there should only be one from memory - 2 at the most.

click apply and then reboot

when you reboot u will get a window saying something like "changes have been made to the configuration utility" click the box that says "dont show me this again"
and then "ok" - if the "systems utility" program opens again just after this just click on "ok" and reboot
When u reboot you should not get any messages relating to "bitware"
let me know if you do
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.