Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP PRO and adjusting Network

by TONI H / January 26, 2008 8:55 PM PST

When I had a network between two computers on W98SE, I was able to right click Network Neighborhood and be able to make manual changes to the workgroup names, etc. if it wasn't right...with the end result once corrected was that the computers on the network showed up in Windows Explorer as if they were 'real' harddrives. That gave easy access immediately to copying files, etc.

With XP Pro and stupid My Network Places, I can't find how to change the workgroup name in order to correct the inability to see the other computer without going through massive hoops. Right now, all I can see are the 'shared folders/documents' of the second computer that have nothing in them (such as my pictures, etc), and only after clicking a slew of things inside the "view all network". This is from the 'main computer'

Coming from the other end, I again have to click through a slew of items in the 'view all network' before I can see the shared drive of the main computer, but when I try to drag a file from the second computer to a folder on the main computer I get an error window saying the 'file is in use' or some such garbage.

What I would like to do on the second computer is start over and eliminate the workgroup that was set up since I think it was done incorrectly from the git-go and then correct the main computer if it needs to be so that I get access to the shared drives from both directions.

Also, I would like to find a way to be able to have the networked computers see each other in Windows Explorer like before as if they were extra harddrives to make access easier like I used to be able to do. Or is this not even possible anymore?

I didn't set up the network manually like I had to with W98SE....I used the Network Wizard and as usual, MS in its infinite wisdom decided that I didn't really need to understand any of their dialog boxes in order to do it right the first time around.

How do I get rid of the network completely from both ends if I have to in order to do it right?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP PRO and adjusting Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP PRO and adjusting Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: workgroup
by Kees Bakker / January 26, 2008 9:18 PM PST

Toni,

Computername and workgroup are in the Computername tab of the properties of My Computer. You can change the workgroup-name via the Edit button.

And you can share (and unshare) folders via the Share tab of the properties of the folder.

With the correct workgroup name and the folders shared, you should be able to map them into a drive letter from another PC in the network.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Partial success
by TONI H / January 26, 2008 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: workgroup

I followed your instructions and renaming the workgroup/computer name for the second computer and then mapping the drives at both ends worked.

However, when I go to either computer and view the whole network, there is a still one computer name that was fudged from the git-go showing up on both sides that I can't figure out how to get rid of. So right now, instead of having only two computers showing up in the whole network, I have three....with the third one being a dud that I want to eliminate (just so I don't have to look at it anymore more than anything else lol)

I can't find where on the second computer that information is in order to dump it since that's where it was set up in the first place and I screwed the pooch during the set up of it. Now that you've led me in the right direction to repair the second attempt so that everything works, I don't want the daily reminder of the first attempt if I can get rid of it. lol

TONI H

Collapse -
The Network Neighborhoor or NN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Partial success

The NN has some "memory" that will fade over time. I know there is a way to hurry this up but since it self cleans in a week or so I have forgotten the chant to chase away its ghosts.

Bob

Collapse -
HAHAHAH
by TONI H / January 26, 2008 11:12 PM PST

Your prose always amuses me......I'll give it some time and see if XP and My Network Places operates the same way as NN did and corrects itself over time. lol

TONI

Collapse -
You can try to see ...
by Kees Bakker / January 27, 2008 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: HAHAHAH

if regedit will find the offending name. Depending on the context you might get idea that it's safe to remove it, when found.

I find my networked computers in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WorkgroupCrawler\Printers

and that's all.

Seems rather safe to do it.

Kees

Collapse -
48 hours...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: HAHAHAH
Collapse -
Another quirk or feature with XP that you may want to tweak
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2008 7:32 AM PST

In Explore and under Tools/Folder Options/View you'll find a check box for automatically searching the network for folders and printers. Essentially, it's looking for shares. I believe the box is checked by default. I turn it off as it adds clutter to the network neighborhood. What you might want to do is create a shortcut to the local network on your desktop by dragging it there. It saves some navigation steps later.

Collapse -
With XP Pro Toni ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 28, 2008 10:51 AM PST

it doesn't matter what the workgroup is.

open Windows Explorer, click on Tools them Map Network Drive.

Now enter \\computername\sharename

Assign it a drive letter or accept the auto assignment and either choose to reconnect at logon or not - I leave it unchecked because if the other computer happens to be shut down it increases boot time AND can sometimes cause some strange little issues.

After doing this once the share remains in the dropdown list for easy selection.

To disconnect a mapped network drive, use the Tools/Disconnect Network Drive? option in Windows Explorer, or right-click on the folder in My Computer and choose the "Disconnect" menu option.

You can also use the Net Use command.

This link guides you on all but the initial method (Network Places) doesn't play well with multiple workgroups.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.