Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP please do not disturb!

by gratlitl / January 24, 2009 1:28 AM PST

Hi,

I don't like getting interrupted when I am off the internet using a program with some MS update prompt trying to break through to tell me that I have an update to install or that an update failed.

Is there a way to stop getting the notification, MS prompts, trying to break through and distracting me in the middle of something? (in other words a "Do not disturb" sign on the door when I am using a program)

I already tried turning off updates and the "prompts" keep coming to tell me I can't get an update because I have updates turned off.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP please do not disturb!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP please do not disturb!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Xp please do not disturb!
by Carol~ Moderator / January 24, 2009 2:32 AM PST

gratlitl..

When you 'turned off the updates' and went to Start>Control Panel>Security Center, did you also go to the left-hand side of the window under Resources (on the very bottom) where it says, "Change the way Security Center alerts me"? And uncheck "Automatic Updates" and press OK?

Another way of getting rid of the notifications is to install the updates. With those that fail, there's generally a reason why. But..I presume you know that already. Wink

If you've tried the above and it doesn't help, please post back and you'll get the help you need.
Carol

Collapse -
rude prompts
by gratlitl / January 25, 2009 9:30 AM PST

Hi Carol,

Quote: gratlitl..

When you 'turned off the updates' and went to Start>Control Panel>Security Center, did you also go to the left-hand side of the window under Resources (on the very bottom) where it says, "Change the way Security Center alerts me"? And uncheck "Automatic Updates" and press OK? Endquote

Yes

Quote: Another way of getting rid of the notifications is to install the updates. With those that fail, there's generally a reason why. But..I presume you know that already. ;)Endquote

I have installed updates many times and it is a never ending process that does not stop the Update from further prompting. You cannot honestly tell me that after you install an Update you never get another prompt about another update sometime in the near future can you?

I don't mind updating "I just don't want to be harassed by a "stinking" prompt breaking through my programs to tell me when it wants to something that isn't exactly "earth shaking" news!

Quote: If you've tried the above and it doesn't help, please post back and you'll get the help you need.
Carol Endquote

How to actually turn off getting prompts?

Thanks,

gratlitl

Collapse -
Re: rude prompts
by Carol~ Moderator / January 25, 2009 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: rude prompts

gratlitl..

You wrote, "You cannot honestly tell me that after you install an Update you never get another prompt about another update sometime in the near future can you?"

The ONLY prompt I've ever gotten after an update, is to restart the system. Other than that, I can tell you in ALL honesty, I haven't seen any other type of alert. But keep in mind the following.. I have Automatic Updates turned off. And I also have the alerts turned off. I install the updates myself, the second Tuesday of every month. Knocking on wood, I've never had one update fail since "day one". I'm not clear on what you mean by after installing an update "never getting another prompt about another update sometime in the near future". To the best of my knowledge, there are no prompts "for future updates". Unless it's only a matter of semantics.

I probably should have originally asked, exactly what the prompts say. How about sharing that? Are they same (worded) prompts all the time? Are the prompts due to one specific update, which has repeatedly failed? Do you have updates you postponed installing? I could easily ask a lot more questions, but I'm leaving it with what I've already asked.

Have you looked in WU/MU's update history, to see if there are any failed updates. Without knowing exactly what the prompts are for, it's kinda difficult to tell you how to "properly" stop them.

Carol

Collapse -
sharing "exactly" what the prompts are saying
by gratlitl / January 28, 2009 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: rude prompts

Hi carol,

curcat Quote: "I probably should have originally asked, exactly what the prompts say. How about sharing that? Are they same (worded) prompts all the time? Are the prompts due to one specific update, which has repeatedly failed? Do you have updates you postponed installing? I could easily ask a lot more questions, but I'm leaving it with what I've already asked." Endquote

In my first post I already told you. Quote: "I already tried turning off updates and the "prompts" keep coming to tell me I can't get an update because I have updates turned off."

Don't know how much more exact I need to say to "share" what "prompts" I am getting except to have you see an actual "prompt" telling me that I have Updates turned off.

From your response you "apparently" do not get the MS XP Update prompts telling you that you have Updates turned off (which constantly happened to me but "apparently" not you). Is that correct?

If that is correct and you do not then I need to find out why I am getting them and not you.

If you really got to have an "actual" prompt so you can "actually" see "exactly" what the prompt is saying I will have to turn off the Updates (since I gave up trying to stop the prompts that way) and when I get the prompts telling me I have Updates turned off, then copy it before it goes away and if I don't have a chance to copy it the first time I will have plenty of other chances because it will keep prompting me about it over and over, time and time again rudely breaking through programs to tell me that Updates are turned off.

Collapse -
Re: ms update prompt
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2009 1:20 AM PST

My prompt (and I see it about three times a week for Windows defender) is a decent yellow triangle sitting quietly in the System Notification Area next to the clock. If I don't click it, it won't do anything except sitting there. If I click it, it lets me download and after that install the updates. Some updates remind me every 10 minutes or so that I have to reboot to fully implement them. That's unpleasant.

I've never seen a prompt that resembles the prompt you're talking about. But as long as you don't disclose the actual contents of the message, I can't google it.
What's strange: a prompt appearing so short you can't copy it. I've never seen such from Windows also.
You're making quite a mystery of this problem.

Kees

Collapse -
when a prompt is not a prompt
by gratlitl / January 31, 2009 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: ms update prompt

I don't have a yellow triangle on the taskbar in the lower right corner. I have a red shield with an X in it that shows Updates are turned off. The shield is called an "icon" and your yellow triangle is called an "icon".

With further investigation I discovered that the prompt is actually a bubble notification that appears after log on and keeps bugging you every log on until Updates are turned back on and apparently there is no other way to turn off the bubble notifications until "Updates" are turned back on. (the bubble notification states: Your computer may be at risk! Automatic Updates are turned off)

I also discovered that it was Anti-virus software that was trying to break through my programs with a prompt which I assumed was an XP Update because I could not completely see the prompt and by the time I quit my program to see the prompt it was gone (it was not easy to find out where that prompt was coming from).

That Anti-virus software is now uninstalled and replaced with another Anti-virus that does not force a prompt to break through programs.

Collapse -
Re: popup
by Kees Bakker / January 31, 2009 8:44 PM PST

It's best to have automatic updates on. That will get rid of that prompt. If you prefer to have it off, you'll have to live with it. Your choice here.

Good to read you found the cause of the other popup: your antivirus program. You found a good solution also. Thanks for telling that your initial post (mentioning "some MS update prompt trying to break through") was incorrect.

Kees

Collapse -
corrections
by gratlitl / February 1, 2009 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: popup

I don't mind correcting my mistakes. Happy I don't really care to correct others mistakes, but when I need to I need to.

I already know that turning on Updates will get rid of the never ending pest bubble. Quote from my last post: "a bubble notification that appears after log on and keeps bugging you every log on until Updates are turned back on"

I think it is best to get Updates, but I prefer to do as Carol and get Updates once a month, but to do it that way and not have AU constantly checking and annoyingly prompting I have to put up with an annoying bubble anyway.

The thing is there is no option to "not" get bubble notifications or prompts other than to "forcefully" give in to the bubble to stop getting pestered by the bubble, which will get you the prompts. Or shut down the system that is prompting only to have bubbles forced on you for doing so.

Collapse -
Re: Corrections
by Carol~ Moderator / February 1, 2009 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: corrections

gratlitl...

You wrote, "I think it is best to get Updates, but I prefer to do as Carol and get Updates once a month, but to do it that way and not have AU constantly checking and annoyingly prompting I have to put up with an annoying bubble anyway."

Previously I wrote, I turned off Automatic Updates and "changed the way the Security Center alerts me". I also wrote I don't get any reminders, or "bubbles". You wrote you had done the same, with no success. Maybe there's something wrong with the Security Center? Did you try un-checking the boxes, then re-checking the again?

Although the below references turning off the "bubbles" for your A/V Protection, as you discovered you were also getting, the same holds true for the updates. It's why, if you unchecked Automatic Updates, under "Alert Settings", as seen at the very bottom of the page below, I'm questioning whether everything is in working order on your end. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-your-computer-might-be-at-risk-popup-in-windows-xp-sp2/

I don't recommend turning either of them off, but I'm "a bit of nut" when it comes to patching my system. Glad to hear you worked things out.
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks Carol
by gratlitl / February 3, 2009 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Corrections

The link linked to a site that shows exactly what I needed to "turn off" prompts. Happy

Hopefully now there will be no more Update/Anti-virus prompts or ballons.

It is quite easy once you "know" where to look. (I think I looked everywhere "but" there)

Perhaps it would be better to just ask how to do something rather than explain the reason for wanting to do it. Sad

Collapse -
You're welcome, gratlitl
by Carol~ Moderator / February 3, 2009 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Carol

I thought I explained it clearly in my first post, but you said you already looked there. That said, I thought a reminder (along with pictures and "proof") wouldn't hurt. Wink

Glad to hear you are "promptless and ballonless" Happy
Carol

Collapse -
"When I turned off Updates"
by gratlitl / February 4, 2009 12:44 AM PST

It threw me when you asked: "When you turned off Updates". That caused me to think it was only about turning off Updates since I thought it was evident that I didn't know that the "alerts/prompts" could be turned off when I turned off Updates.

Otherwise I would have followed your lead and went to the hypertext in the left lower corner of the window and clicked on the last hypertext and selected the appropriate circle to turn off "alerts/prompts".

Collapse -
(NT) All's Well that Ends Well :)
by Carol~ Moderator / February 4, 2009 7:49 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?